Amazing . . . Ants!
I believe I’ve discovered the type of ants that have colonized, set up perimeter outposts for reconnaissance and boldly invaded my pantry. Well, I’ve actually narrowed it down to either the Argentine Ant or the Pharaoh Ant. I’m hoping it is the Argentine Ant as the other variety is quite nasty and will attack you whilst you are sleeping (which already has me spinning into fits of itching, scratching and frequent visits to the ladies’ room to inspect my body).
I want to go on record and thank God for all the swarming hordes of ants He has allowed in my life. In this, too, I am pointed back to Him.
I truly detest them and, as Sally & Frank observed last night, I will go into a frenzy of nonsensical mumbling and quite a nasty, short, snippy behavior/attitude. I think they were relieved to let me leave the house on a hunt for ant baits.
Though ants are truly a nuisance, but not particularly harmful to humans, I guess my ultimate aversion to them relates to my natural need to be in control of things and have order in my life. Which should be an instant red flag that my focus has once again shifted off of Christ and onto me…me…me. Granted, it is not wrong to rid your home of pests and insects…but it is wrong to over-react to their presence and fly around the room, spouting off non-Christlike epithets and in general, acting like a complete imbecile (of which I was a superb example last night).
In Proverbs, Solomon points the sluggard to observe the ant (Proverbs 6:6-11).
Interesting facts about ants.
- They never sleep during mild weather.
- They carefully carry their eggs from the nest closer to the surface where it is warmer for the eggs. Then, as the day wanes and cooler temperatures increase, they carefully move the eggs deep within the nest for protection from the cold.
- When it rains or turns colder, they will take a piece of wood or tile and drag it until it covers their hole, thereby preventing the inclement weather from invading their homes.
- And, I guess they do sleep in the deep winter. They don’t store up food for the winter, cause that is when they don’t really need it.
- They gather and store food during the good weather. (Unless, of course, they are California Ants…where the weather is temperate and never grows so cold as to snow!)
So, the little ant, I am told to observe and learn from, has reminded me of a really valuable lesson. I need to remain diligent, disciplined and devoted to God spending time with Him in prayer, study and abiding rest. People, problems (like ants) and the daily struggle of life (or school, or relationships, or conflicts, or financial situations, etc…) will always swarm into my life (which doesn’t belong to me – remember?). If I have not been feasting upon God, I’m going to blow it in all those circumstances and be rendered useless for the Lord. I’ll miss out on the opportunity to serve Him, obey Him and be a useful vessel for His purposes and ultimate glory.
When you are faced with problems – do you exude Christ or someone else? Your answer will show you where your focus is.
Thank You, Lord, for the ants!
P.S. This link has some suggestions on Natural Ant Control Tips. I’ll let you know how they work!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home