Wednesday, August 11, 2004

God names the stars!

Genesis 1:16 God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also . . .

Psalm 8:3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;

Psalm 147:4 He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them.

Psalm 148:1-5 Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD from the heavens; praise Him in the heights! Praise Him, all His angels; praise Him, all His hosts! Praise Him, sun and moon; praise Him, all stars of light! Praise Him, highest heavens, and the waters that are above the heavens! Let them praise the name of the LORD, for He commanded and they were created.

The Perseid Meteor Shower begins August 12, 2004 and will last for 10 days. Do you realize the impact of this information (no pun intended)? Can you fathom what this MEANS? As we are flitting across the dunes at midnight in Pismo, we will be distracted by “falling” or “shooting” stars streaking across the night sky! Usually the Perseid Meteor Shower is the best show of the year, unless there is a full moon present. New moon/no moon conditions are best for viewing meteor showers. This year we are in for quite a show – as there will be no moon while we are at Pismo! I guess the show kicks into high gear between 2-4 a.m. So, we may need to adjust our schedule.

Here’s a bit of scientific background regarding meteor showers: Meteors, also called falling or shooting stars, occur when the Earth passes through debris fields left by passing comets. What we are witnessing when we see a shooting-star is a small piece of interplanetary matter, called a meteor, entering the Earth's atmosphere and `burning up' at a height of about 100 km. While most look white, some can appear blue, green, yellow, orange, or red. Some may even explode at the end of its visible flight. Most showers produce about 20, or so, meteors per hour but there are showers which can produce hundreds of meteors over a period of less than an hour. Such shows are, unfortunately, very rare. Meteor showers are named after the constellation from which they appear to radiate.

Isaiah 40:26 Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these stars, the One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one of them is missing.

I plan to gaze into the heavens and ponder God calling each star by its name. If God considers it important to name a star, how much more important am I, His child, to Him? Then, I plan to ponder on what Jesus said in Matthew 6:25:34. Vs. 26 “Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?”

Amazing!

Wonderful!

Praise God!

I love you, Lord!

dogledanji!!

P.S. I apologize for my pictures not showing up. The host sight, Imagebay.org, where I store my pix appears to either be offline or out of operating space. I'll give it a day or two to recuperate...then, I'll remove all the annoying red x's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home