Frog or Scorpion: Horizontal Grace
Frog is sitting by the side of the stream when Scorpion approaches him.As believers, it is NOT our nature to sting one another. We, every last one of us, are a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17). The following passage explains how we are to act towards one another.
Scorpion says to Frog, “allow me to crawl upon your back while you swim across the stream, so I can get to the other side.”
Frog considers and claims, “No! How do I know you will not sting me as I am taking you across? If you sting me, I will die.”
Scorpion explains to Frog, “If I were to sting you, I would not be able to get to the other side.” Seeing this logic, Frog agrees to take Scorpion across the stream.
Midway through the stream, Scorpion stings Frog.
As Frog is dying, he exclaims to Scorpion, “But I thought you said you wouldn’t sting me!”
Scorpion replies, “I am what I am. It is my nature to sting you.”
Rom 12:9-18 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Rom 14:7-13 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living. But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. For it is written, "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD." So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this--not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.
I am convicted about being a youth leader. I am to be a frog and not a scorpion. My responsibility is to shepherd, not sting. My calling is to show the love of Christ, teach the Truth in love, show mercy and extend grace to those around me: whether I am stung or not. Because, it’s not about me. It is all about Jesus Christ. This life. My life…which is not my own, but now hidden in Christ Jesus (Col. 3:1-4).
Do you extend grace to those around you? Or are you a Scorpion?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home