Thursday, September 02, 2004

Pierced to the heart...

Do your eyes glisten or does your heart begin to hammer when you hear the familiar notes ring out our national anthem? In a few days, we will once again be shown images of the Sept. 11th terrorists’ attacks in New York. When you see those images, do you tear up and catch your breath at the horrendous images of devastation, then images of bravery, hope and a nation united in rebuilding, but not forgetting what happened?

I do! I do!

What about when you hear the Doxology - do you get teary-eyed? Or, when you hear someone has become a new believer - does your heart quicken and rejoice? What about when a Christian discusses a triumph in their walk with Christ or a challenge - do you catch your breath and praise God?

Sometimes I do! Sometimes I don't!

Oh that we were like the early church! What kind of body would we be if we, as believers, were united in the Spirit and willing servants to the cause of Christ? Would it be we could forget the trivial and focus on the essential? Would it be that we would forget about our own needs and seek to meet the needs of those around us?

I want to! I want to!

Act 2:37-47 Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. "For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself." And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation!"
So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.
And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Where is our continual devotion to the teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread and prayer? Where is our sense of awe? Where is our giving to those who have need? Do we even know what others need? Where is our gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all people?

I need to! I long to! I am willing to!

May we be pierced to the heart and fall in love with God! I will pray this for you. Ooooh, pray this for me! Let it begin with me.

Yes Lord, let it begin with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home