Friday, August 06, 2004

Distracted by...what?

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances."
Elisabeth Elliot

So, I was reflecting upon an incident that happened this morning. Frank and I were talking and preparing to leave for our places of employment. I’d just made coffee and he was doctoring up his in his travel mug. For no reason at all, I glanced down at the tile floor and notice the familiar dark line of those things I loathe! I turned on the light and there they were! Once again, the tiny red ants had invaded our kitchen! Grrr! I yelled at the cat to quit stepping on the ants (which she ignored) and yanked the kitchen rug off the floor. As I’m taking the rug outside I barked at Frank to spray the ants! He obliged and continued his conversation with me about being the man of someone’s dreams. And, I missed it until right now. At the time, I was flustered and felt personally assaulted by these tiny red demons who persist in invading MY living space. Frank was STILL focused on the conversation and me…not the distraction of the ants. The relationship matters to him, not the distractions. Boy, do I STILL have a long way to go and a lot to learn! I chose to focus on a tiny distraction, which is easily dispensed with, rather than focusing on my husband, the man of MY dreams come true! (Please forgive me Frank). The relationship took a back seat to the tiny problem!

How much more do I allow the tiny, insignificant details of life to interfere with my relationship with Jesus Christ? Jesus wants us to focus on our relationship with Him.

The account of Jesus walking on the sea is found in Matthew 14:22-33. Verses 28-30 are as follows:
Peter said to Him, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"

It is when we take our focus off of Christ and onto anything else, we begin to stumble, falter and fall. Our relationship with Jesus Christ is what counts! Not that the wind, tiny distractions or “things” of this world will go away…but they will fall into the right perspective.
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

May my focus be on Christ today, and every day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home