Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Who's your Mentor?

With fascination, I have stolen a few minutes here and there to watch the Olympics. The other day, I watched the men’s 100-meter race (I think that was it) and the two Americans who qualified in 1st and 2nd place. Did you see it? Did you see the one turn and motion for the other to go on ahead and take the lead? The commentators didn’t appreciate this “show of bravado” and “egotism.” Me, I rather enjoyed it. I found it refreshing and thrilling that these two had trained hard and disciplined themselves to make it to the Olympic Games in Athens, Greece (have I ever mentioned I used to live there? Ah, a story for another time). To me, this was a perfect example of Christian discipleship.

1Cor 9:23-27 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

So, when you look at the athletes who compete in the Olympics what is the first thing you marvel at? Their muscular bodies!!! At first, I was a bit distracted by the skin-tight, skin-showing athletic wear until it dawned on me that this type of clothing isn’t designed so much as to “reveal” as it is intended to “not impede”. Which made me ponder the following passage in Hebrews.

Hebrews 12:1-3 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in favor of walking around in skin-tight, skin-bearing clothing…but I really understand the need for an athlete to not wear heavy, constricting garments. Imagine how slow the races would be if the swimmers were wearing Armani business suits? Or how well would the gymnasts be able to maneuver around on the balance beams wearing floor-length ballroom gowns? Silly! But you get my point.

As believers, we are to “lay aside” everything that distracts us from our focus, Jesus Christ. What distracts you from Jesus, His Word, prayer and Biblical fellowship? We are also to “lay aside”, cast off to the sidelines, if you will, all the things that would cause us to stumble and fall (sin). We are to focus on Jesus Christ, Who is the Creator and “perfecter” of our faith. If you are focusing on yourself, you are not focusing on Christ. And, as we run this race, we are to dwell upon and focus on what Jesus endured for us, what Jesus did for us, to keep us going, growing and not lose heart.

We are not running this race alone. We have those who are farther down the path waving us on. They are our mentors, our “mature” brothers and sisters in Christ. They are there to encourage us, remind us, caution us, even correct us as we run this race called the Christian life. Who is your mentor? If you don’t have one, begin now to pray for one and seek one out. Don’t forget, as you continue to run, there are those falling in behind you. What example are you setting? What encouragement is your running the Christian “race” providing? Pretty soon now, your turn will come to wave them on. You, disciple of Christ, are a mentor in the making. Even now, are you waving other believers on? Are you pointing them to Jesus Christ?

Pray for me that I will run in such a way as to encourage others toward Christ. I will pray the same for you!

dogledanji!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home