Monday, April 26, 2004

What did YOU wear today?

When you got up this morning and dressed for school, work, errands, or just putting around the house, did you dress yourself in love, compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience? Well, I didn't. I looked in my closet and pulled out something that matched, would be comfortable and appropriate for a business environment. My biggest dilemma was whether to wear flat shoes or high-heels.

So, I wonder if I focused more on dressing myself each day in love, compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, if that focus would have an affect on what I choose to wear each day? Probably not. I've never been a slave to fashion. Getting dressed, doing my hair and applying makeup has ALWAYS been a chore to me and not a delight. Some gals really get excited about getting ready each day. To me, it has always been a hassle. In this way, I wish I were like a guy. They get up, get showered and, for the most part, put some goop in their hair and are on their way!

But, if I focus on "putting on Christ" each day...my attitudes, relationships with the saved and unsaved, priorities, and focus throughout each situation I face that day...would be dramatically different. What about you? Would your day look different?

In the following verses, I don't think Paul was talking about physically getting dressed. He was talking about how we, as believers, are to "put on Christ". And, he is talking about our heart attitudes. As we've talked about before, what is in our hearts is reflected in how we act. Our smiles, our reaching out to others, our clothes, our attitudes - are all a reflection of what is in our hearts. And, yes, it is pretty easy to fool others by carefully dressing and acting "Christ-like" while our hearts are hardened and rebellious. So don't miss what the point is here...

Colossians 3:12-17 - So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

Shifting the thought just a bit here...when you get squeezed, what comes out of your mouth? Think back to today...when someone asked you about your PlanetWisdom bracelet; when you were made fun of or embarassed; when someone bumped into you on accident; when someone ignored you; when you got hurt in PE or sports; when your mom asked you to do a chore or extra chore not on your list; (you get the idea...)? How did you respond? When non-Christians at school talk about God, do you change the subject or walk away?

Colossians 4:5-6 - Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

All of this goes back to what is in your heart. If you love God, you will obey Him. If you love God, you will want to please Him. If you love God, you will talk about Him. You won't be able to help yourself. What we love...is what or whom we talk about.

What DID you wear today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home