Thursday, April 22, 2004

How do you view the future?

"Your view of the future is shown by the life you are living today." - Alistair Begg

So, to steal an example Pastor Begg gave...what do you call those imperfections on your face? Pimples? Zits? Well, in Scotland, they call them "Plocks". And, when you know you are going to be seeing that "someone special" don't you scrub your face and use all kinds of dermatological miracles to get your face spotless and clean? Hmmm..spotless and clean. Does that sound familiar?

Are you living your life in such a way as to be found "spotless and clean" when either the Lord takes you home or returns to rapture His bride?

Jesus' return is imminent. Remember what "imminent" means? It means "about to occur". Literally, Jesus' return is about to occur. It could happen at any moment. Are you living your life now, in such a way, that reflects this Truth? Am I?

I am sad to say that I do not always live my life reflecting this Truth. I want to! I truly long to live my life for Christ now so that when I die, it is one step here on earth with Christ and the next step in Heaven with Christ.

In I Corinthians 15, Paul is talking to the Christians about the Truth of the resurrection. This all falls in line with what Michael and Frank have been teaching on the last few Sundays. If Jesus did not rise from the dead, then we are living our Christian life in vain. If Jesus is not risen, we live without hope.

I Corinthians 15: 31-34
31 I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
32 If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, LET US EAT AND DRINK, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.
33 Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."
34 Become sober-minded as you ought, and stop sinning; for some have no knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

Jesus Christ indeed has risen and lives today. Does your life reflect this Truth? Who are you keeping company with? Who are your friends? Do they see Christ in you? Or, can we say verses 32-34 is true about you in this way:

vs. 32 - I live my life today, uncertain of what the future holds. I want the most "toys", "clothes", "boys/girls", etc. I want everything now, not caring about the cost.
vs. 33 - Most of my friends don't even know I'm a Christian. I live my life, talk and play "just like they do". In fact, I have two sets of friends. I have my "non-church", "school" friends and then my "church" friends. I live my life one way at school and another way at church.
vs. 34 - This living for Christ talk is no big deal to me. I have it pretty much figured out. I can live my life the way I want to. I don't do the "big" sins, so I'm okay. If I told my friends about God, I'd be embarrassed.

If you belong to Christ, but are living your life to please the world, then you are sinning and missing out on being used by God for His glory. It is never too late! Repent, stop sinning and seek to live your life to please God. But, just wanting this won't make it happen.

Seek God in His Word, on your knees in prayer and through accountability with Godly, Christian friends/leaders/mentors. Live the Gospel in your life. Be ALIVE - A-always, L-living, I-in, V-view of E-eternity.

Make today count for the glory of God. Care more about what God thinks about you than what your friends think.

What future are you living for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home