
For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. (Colossians 1:13-17)
I haven't watched Fringe in a while, but I did see the latest Star Trek installment and caught up with LOST last night (thanks to TIVO). Okay, WHAT is going on in LOST???!!!! Not even Frank was willing to postulate too much about what waits for us in about 9 months (yes, Losties...Lost won't be back until January 2010!). I can't wait for Jenna to get back and freak out (as I freak out all over again) over the season Finale. =D
I am surrounded by much better people (ahem, Bill, Henry, Frank & Debbie) who can theorize and discuss with great depth the issues of time travel, time space continuum (sp?) and the idea of cosmic "do overs." And they call that Science Fiction!? I call that Fantasy. Stepping outside of time, manipulating it and folding it to achieve your devious or altruistic plan is ultimate Fantasy to me. Hey, it's MY opinion.
Unless you put God into the equation. Then all bets are off and the idea that God is outside of time is mind blowing to me on my best ginko biloba day (which isn't today)!
These veins of thought inevitably end up discussing presdestination, foreknowledge, etc. And, I don't want to dismiss these important topics so lightly...but I have to. We could get caught up for days, weeks, months and maybe even years debating these issues. I do find it incredibly fascinating God gives us these intricate brains to somehow even grasp the concept of arguing (er, um, debating) over these topics.
All of these debates have to begin and end with God.
He is the Creator.
He spoke everything into existence, so He knows how it all ticks and spins and moves inside and outside of time. God knew us, planned us and ordained all of our days. Check out Psalms 139:11-17....
If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
and the light around me will be night,"
even the darkness is not dark to You,
and the night is as bright as the day.
Darkness and light are alike to You.
For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
wonderful are Your works,
and my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
when I was made in secret,
and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me,
when as yet there was not one of them.
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
I do love what David says in Psalm 16 (mentioned in today's PW devotional):
A Mikhtam of David.
Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You."
As for the saints who are in the earth, they are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied;
I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood,
nor will I take their names upon my lips.
The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.
I will bless the LORD who has counseled me; indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.
I have set the LORD continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will dwell securely.
For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy;
in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
(Psalms 16:1-11)
| J.J. Abrams and the God of Time Posted: 14 May 2009 10:15 AM PDT "LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." (Psalm 16:5-6) Your pop culture philosophy teacher for this last week has been Mr. J.J. Abrams. If you have attended any of his classes -- the "Star Trek" movie, the season finale of "Lost," even a recent episode of "Fringe" -- you may have noticed that he wants you to think really hard about time travel. More specifically, he wants you to wrestle with the ages old debates about whether our paths are predetermined or whether we might be able to change our destiny. It's a fun bone to chew on, but it's also one that leaves us asking some difficult personal questions. If could go back and change my past, would I? Is my "present reality" good enough? What is good? Should I accept things as they are or make every effort in my power to change my reality? If I had unlimited free will and unlimited power to change everything, would I make it better -- or far worse? And, finally, what does any of this have to do with Psalm 16? Only this: David said to the one true God: "You are the only source of good things in my life. I will choose to be content with whatever you give me today -- to enjoy it, even -- and to look forward to all the good things you'll give me forever." Whatever the answer to all those sticky questions, David focused in this psalm on tuning his heart to God's goodness -- and left the past, present, and future up to his powerful, loving, trustworthy Father. Think: Tell yourself the truth: Are you willing to trust God with how our life turns out today, with the good things you do and don't end up with? Do you think you are a source of good; do you think you could create more good things in the universe if you could change the past, the present, or the future? Pray: Thank God for what He has provided for you today, for your lot in life right in this moment. Ask Him to help you to trust Him to provide exactly what you need -- and much much more -- tomorrow and forever. Do: Read Hebrews 13:4-6 and think about what sexual purity, contentment, and the love of money have to do with trusting the God of time. ![]() |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home