
Okay, if this PW devo doesn't get to you...then...then...maybe you are more mature in Christ than me! =D
[If you want to bypass my verbose reflection about this devotional...you can page down and get to the PW Devotional! You even have my blessing & permission to do so!!]
Not to brag (okay, I'm gonna)...but Frank and I have a really good relationship. We can talk about anything, anytime, anywhere. And, we do. Frank definitely has the gift of faith. I definitely do NOT have the gift of faith. God's pretty awesome to work that one out for us. However, I believe God is allowing me to experience His supernatural hand in my life lately, and is definitely making me wonder if I may have the gift of faith sometimes too! =D
The Old Me....
A few years into our marriage...our financial situation became unstable (to put it mildly). Some of you know the gory details and the rest of you will be saved from the tome I could write on our experiences (be thankful). I USED to get really upset with Frank when he didn't freak out about financial problems we were experiencing. I now know he was just as concerned, just as upset and just as freaked out as I was...he just has this magical secret (or so I thought) on how to deal with it and not let it bother him.
Although, even early in our marriage, we were good communicators...we didn't talk too much about our financial dilemmas. We had this cause and effect relationship going on: I'd freak out, spin out of orbit and articulate all kinds of strange word-pairings to express my extreme displeasure about our situation (think crazy, large vocabulary enhanced parrot attempting to fly around the room with clipped wings...and you'll get a great image of me). Go ahead laugh. The image is pretty funny. What ISN'T so funny is the amused look on Frank's face, directed at me, when I was flopping around the room freaking out!
You know, just once, I wanted to see him flop around the room and act like he was really bothered by all of the junk we were going through. Thankfully, God gave me Frank and knew I needed his calm, quiet, trusting, faithbased reaction to the storms we weathered in our marriage.
Sidebar here. My sister used to have cockatiels as pets. She had this really cool one named Sunshine. This bird was so sweet, gentle and would pick at your teeth for you (if one were inclined to need the services of a toothpick and be at a loss for one). I think it used to talk too...and bark like our poodle...and other now cute (but then annoying) sounds. I seem to recall her relating a story about Sunshine getting out and she had to capture the flighty bird (ar.ar.ar...) in a coat closet. I guess the bird tangled with some wire hangers and dislocated (?) a wing.
All that flopping around doesn't solve anything...and can actually do damage (see sidebar above).
What used to send me through the roof was when Frank would calmly reply, "it doesn't do any good to get all upset. We will get through this. It will be okay." Other times he'd remind me how much God had taken care of us so far. Mr. Faith was all pollyanna and the glass half full!
What God says....
Actually, Frank's reactions were quite Biblical. As mentioned in today's verse from PW's Devotion.
Be anxious[don't worry] for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication [humble prayer] with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:6-9) [emphasis mine]
And, my normal reactions, were quite unbiblical and wrong.
The New Me (all Praise goes to God!)...
I can happily report I don't fly around the room [as much] anymore! God has, in His supreme knowlege of me, given me plenty of opportunities to learn this lesson and seek to trust Him first in each circumstance.
Just like yesterday.
Some criminally minded individual cloned my bank check card. I can plot on a map the joyride he/she took from the Ohio/Missouri border to New Mexico. This person probably would have gone further (and probably did, but not on my dime anymore) had I not called my bank and alerted them to the "I cannot be in two places at once" scenario and had them cancel my checkcard. In a few days, I'll get back the $649+change stolen from my account. Normally, the old me would have gone ballistic over this.
And, I did feel a little violated.
It was creepy.
After I left the Police Station, where I had to file a report, I did stop and thank God, even for this.
I had peace.
For whatever reason, God allowed this to happen...
to me...
right now...
for my good.
I'd like to make you believe that I've got this lesson down.
I'd like to convince you that I'll never fly off the handle again.
I can guarantee you, when my total focus is on Jesus...I won't fly off the handle.
However, if you see me flying off the handle about something...you have my permission to ask me where's my focus?
My prayer is it will be a long time, if ever, when you have to ask me that question!
How about you?
What are you freaking out about today that God has completely under control?
| Peace Week 2!: Stop Freaking Out Posted: 07 May 2009 11:31 AM PDT "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7) Rejoice. Dial it down. Look for Him. Stop freaking out. Tell Him what you want. Say thanks for what you've got. Wait for the peace. Think about better things. That collection of very short imperative sentences (commands) has changed my life. It is the path to peace of mind in Jesus. v. 4: Push your mental joy button because Jesus is Lord. Repeat. v. 5: Avoid extreme reactions. Remember He's coming back. v. 6: Reject your own anxiety. Tell God what you would like to see happen (and trust Him to decide if it will or not). Remember that He likes to give you good things -- and say thanks for some of the obvious ones. v. 7: Wait for the peace that doesn't make sense to show up with the guard that keeps it it from falling out again. v. 8: Have the bouncer in brain check your thoughts at the door: Is it true? Is it positive? Then let it in. Otherwise, get out. Think: If you struggle with anxiety, look for which of these things you might be missing. It's not a magic formula; it's how we're meant to trust God. And trusting God is the key to having peace. Think about a specific way you could practice each item. Pray: Ask God to help you to obey these commands and to find that peace that transcends all understanding. Do: Write that first paragraph of short sentences on a card or a sticky note along with the reference, Philippians 4:4-8. Put it somewhere you're likely to find it the next time you feel like you've lost your peace of mind. ![]() |
P.S. What do you think? Should we get a cocktiel as a pet???
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home