
A few years (or more) ago, I had this quick conversation with "Minnie Starshine." (Okay, names have been changed to...make it more interesting!) =D
Without realizing it, I had crushed Minnie into a million little pieces. She was uber upset with me. And the ripple affect of that upsettedness extended to her family, some friends and complete strangers (who probably still refer to me to this day as "Mud Lady").
A days passed and super wise Jedi Master asked me to consider apologizing to Minnie Starshine. Jedi explained to me the huge ripple affect of my conversation and how it might cause some people to stumble away from church, God, etc. I felt pretty lousy. I promised to pray about it and "do the right thing."
I have to confess...I didn't feel I had done anything wrong. I was asked a question and I gave an answer. I was caught a little off guard by the question, so I am sure I didn't measure my words carefully when blurting out my response. As I dwelt upon the conversation and the gentle request of Jedi Master...I began to get defensive and, in all honesty, I sinned because I got angry. I even polled an unrelated party about the conversation to gain support for my side. What had been a simple situation to remedy with prayer, a phone call to apologize and seeking peace, had turned into a sin-fest on my part!
This verse from today's PW devotional instantly reminded me of the above scenario. Instead of pleasing God and pursuing peace with Minnie Starshine...I let the sin of pride rear it's ugly head in my life. I really wrestled with calling this person and apologizing for an uninteded hurt to her. See what pride can do???
After a day or so of fuming, defensive thinking and wallowing in the sin of pride...I remembered my promise to "pray about" the situation. I couldn't really pray until I confessed my sin to God. Honestly, I had to ask God to help me make that phone call! Even though I KNEW it was the right thing to do...I still didn't want to do it. Me, a created being...thought I knew more than God (the Creator) and was pretty sure the phone call wouldn't help anyway.
But it really wasn't about the phone call anymore. It was about this verse! "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Minnie Starshine was never going to call me and explain how I had hurt her. I had to make the phone call. And, I did. In my heart, I genuinely cared about listening to Minnie and trying to make whatever was wrong between us right. I apologized, she forgave me and I had peace once again.
All sin evaporates peace in our lives. However, I think the sin of pride really stands at the head of the class when it comes to thwarting peace! How many times do we close our hearts...our minds...our spirit to submitting to God or someone He has brought into our lives to point out an area we need to rethink, work on or change? Think about it! It is our pride. We think we know better...have learned it all and can't be taught anything more...we think no one understands...we think our situation is so unique to us, not one other person has ever gone through this. We get defensive. We get argumentative. We lose our peace....our relationships...and we alienate ourselves from the Body of Christ and God.
And, it is completely pointless. When we submit to God in every area of our lives, we find perfect peace.
Another time, I received wise counsel from my friend Debbie (real name). In a situation, even though I was absolutely right, she counseled me to "fall on my sword." Take the hit to, hopefully, save the relationship...keep the doors of communication open...be the bigger sister in Christ. Be at peace with that person.
With whom do you need to "if it is possible, as far as it depends on you" be at peace?
| Peace Week 2!: What's Your Part? Posted: 06 May 2009 02:52 PM PDT "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." (Romans 12:18)
I like that God knows that we live in the real world. He doesn't hand out impossible commands and then sit back to laugh at us when we inevitably fail. God gives us loving commands that He knows are for our good -- and then He helps His children to succeed in following after Jesus. Today's verse is a perfect example. Built into it is the understanding that some people will just absolutely refuse to be at peace with us. God knows that I can't control you. If you have declared yourself my enemy, I can't force you to change that -- and He doesn't expect me to. On the other hand, this command sets the bar really high for us. If we follow it, it means we never get to be the reason someone isn't at peace with us. We must own our part of the conflict, even if our part is only 5 percent, and try to make it right. If the other guy (or girl) is willing to make peace, God-obeyers say "yes." Every time. We are the peacemakers. Think: Have you ever tried hard to make peace with someone who just would not forgive you or accept you? How often are you the reason a conflict remains unresolved? Pray: Ask God to help you to make peace with as many people in your life as possible. Do: If you have any outstanding conflicts, call, text, or talk to someone who might not be okay with you in attempt to own up to your part and make peace.  |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home