
Because a Youth Worker exhibited a "peace which goes beyond all understanding.." in a crowded room of 2nd & 3rd graders, Frank was drawn to know that peace. As it turns out, it was a peace that can only come from knowing Jesus as Savior. I am so thankful for this person. Because he lived out his relationship with Jesus, as exhibited by the peace he oozed in a noisy, crazy, room full of children...God used him to woo Frank to Him. This side of heaven, Frank probably won't get to thank this person and encourage him with the spiritual fruit God produced through his God-honoring life.
I recently reconnected with a friend I had in Youth Group at Calvary via Facebook. We were "best" friends for about a summer or two. To Frank's chagrin (though Sunday I thought I heard he was NOW liking this artist..), this gal introduced me to her new musical interest, Amy Grant. I was hooked. Even today, I enjoy Amy Grant's music.
I vividly recall two separate Friday night rededicating-our-lives-to-the-Lord bonfires where we held hands, crying together, went down to the "pit" and threw our sticks (which represented the sin in our lives) into the fire. We promised to hold each other accountable, pray for and encourage each other to love Jesus more than any one or any thing. We earnestly wanted to be good examples to others, love God and grow in our relationship with Him. So what happened?
I could blame so many things, people or events. But, when deconstructing why we didn't "stick" in our recommitment to Christ, I can sum it up in one thing: we were in love with the world more than we were in love with Jesus.
You either are in love with Christ or you are not.
If you are, people will see a peace in you that draws them to you wanting to know more.
Through no effort of our own, God will use us to be salt & light to the world.
I believe my friend is once again deeply in love with Jesus. She doesn't glorify the years she rebelled against God..in fact, she is more excited talking about the changes God has made in her life. To quote an Amy Grant song:
What a difference You've made in my life.
What a difference You've made in my life.
Your'e my sunshine day and night.
Oh, what a difference You've made
In my life.
What a change You have made in my heart.
What a change You have made in my heart.
You replaced all the broken parts.
Oh, what a change You have made
In my heart.
Has Jesus made a difference in your life?
Has He made a change in your heart?
Do people see a peace in you that they don't see in the world?
| Peace Week: How Much Would it Take? Posted: 30 Apr 2009 08:27 AM PDT "Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife." (Proverbs 17:1) My good friend Kevin used to play this game with me called, "How much would it take?" It was a simple game. He'd ask me how much money I would need to do something outrageously embarrassing or dangerous. (e.g., "How much would it take for you to moon that big, mean-looking guy with the tattoo on his forehead?") My responses usually involved huge amounts of money. It's a good thing Kevin wasn't a billionaire, or I would have been in big trouble. In essence, Kevin was asking me to place a value on my peace of mind. Was there a number that would justify filling my life with momentary and/or ongoing strife? Today's verse says, "Don't do it." Don't trade your peace of mind for a life of strife. Being broke is better than having a house full of cool stuff if it comes with constant conflict around you or in your head. Think: Does having money or nice stuff always bring some strife to a household? Why does it sometimes bring strife? Is there anything you could personally do to make your household more peaceful? Pray: Ask God to help you not to value money or material things over peace of mind. Ask Him to give you the wisdom to know how much of your time and energy to give to chasing either of them. Do: Ask a parent or two how they feel about the ratio in your household between strife and "peace and quiet."  |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home