Life imitates fiction...OR does it? Hmmm???
I KNOW I did not give Judy her bug. Mine was entirely different and hung out in the nether regions of my body. Unless, it was a trans-migrating-mutant-imported bug (which would lean one to look askance at Sally as she is the ONLY person who has recently traveled and returned hither from thither).
You know what is super strange? I'm reading "The Stand" by Steven King. (NO! It is NOT strange that I am reading, silly reader…what is strange…oooops…need to leave this parenthetical section.) This is my second time to read "The Stand". The same thing happened to me the first time I was reading it! That is really weird! So what is it???? Well, read on.
First off, as before, I cannot recommend anyone actually waste their brain cells reading the book. However, I can say it is his best work - next to "The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon." I've attempted to read several of King's novels…only to be put off by the foul language and pithy characters who only manage yawning two-dimensional personalities.
Secondly, I read "The Stand" after a recommendation from a friend I respected and admired. Whom now I can't seem to remember their name nor why I respected or admired them. Isn't that interesting? See, wasted brain cells from re-reading a Steven King novel. Okay, I detoured a bit there. Thanks for sticking with me thus far. (Most folks don't really say "thus" any more. I wonder why THAT is? Boy, I sure seem to be all over the map today! Maybe I have a touch of ADD!!!)
Um, thirdly…what? I am sooo sorry if this blathering and botching of thought seems disjointed.
Uh, so, what is super strange? Well, glad you asked! When I first read "The Stand", I was a bit of a traveler for business reasons. Which has not much to do with this, now that I think about it. But, the plot of the book (Do you think you're going to read the book? Well then do not read on as there are SPOILERS, sort of, to follow - about the plot of the book, I mean.) is apocalyptic in nature. In the book, the government has finally blown it and mistakenly released a trans-migrating-mutant-imported bug (sound familiar?). It is super fatal, super easy to catch (as it is airborne) and starts off like the common cold. So, while you're reading the book, people are sniffling, coughing (ahem, Frank), hacking and harboring fevers of like 102 or something (in the book that is). As you are reading the book, you no longer treat the sound of someone coughing as benign. It kind of freaks you out. As it did me the first time I was reading this book.
Then, I saw the movie. If you saw the movie (which was a mini-series over a period of nights on network television…and starred Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, etc.), and you liked it, you would probably find the book a bzillion times better ('cept there is a bunch of foul language, by the foul-language people). However, when I saw the movie…I didn't think twice or pay attention to any one sneezing, coughing or sniffling around me.
Now, I'm re-reading the book (for reasons I can't explain, unless you want to go with the wasted brain cells theory I introduced earlier…) and the same silly thing is happening again.
And, now, I WORK at a HOSPITAL. And, what happened today????
Glad you asked. Today was a "County wide disaster drill". Our hospital took part in the drill. Guess what the disaster was that all the kiddies were coming in for? You guessed it: a non-determined bio-agent threat with "flu-like" symptoms. Sheeesh!
Is that creepy or what?
aaaachooooooooooooooo! Sheesh!
dogledanje...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home