
In my teenage years (70's and early 80's), surfing was the "thing!" Skateboarding was an occasional issue...but hitting the beach, and ultimately the waves, was the craze. I had friends who surfed. I had posters on my walls of huge waves, surfers surfing and golden Hawaiian and Californian sunsets. I EVEN wore OP clothes (Ocean Pacific), which was the brand of choice for the surf-going crowd. I had a wet suit for a while. And, I could tell you some pretty gnarly stats about surfing. I frequented the beach (which is the bane of my skin's existence today!), occasionally got in the water and hung out with the surfing crowd. But you know, I never actually surfed (huge gasp! I know..I know). I was pretty well acquainted with surfing, but I was NOT arrested by it! I was content to sit on the sand and ooh! and ahh! at the brave surf-people grabbing their surfboards, paddling like crazy and riding the waves. I even had my fair share of would-be teachers, but I never even tried. But, I talked a good game. Sometimes I'd be asked, "so you surf?" To which I'd reply, "naw, I just know a lot of people who do."
On the other hand, I was arrested with scuba diving! I loved the water (really, it IS true Frank!)....and I still do. I just need adequate preparation to get INto the water. I was so eager to scuba dive that I enrolled in a class my senior year in high school. Three of my friends were supposed to sign up with me (so we'd have a buddy each - which is necessary when scuba diving). One backed out...but I was NOT to be disuaded. Even when I was paired up with this geeky looking, Jake Busey look-a-like, I still resolved to get certified in scuba diving. And let me tell you, that ALMOST dampened my enthusiasm. I mean, when you have a buddy, you have to go under water together and share a regulator (the apparatus that feeds you oxygen). This guy had yellow-green teeth...but I was going to LEARN to scuba dive. He actually turned out to be a nice guy and we enjoyed our scuba-diving experience together! My other two friends dropped out. They couldn't handle swimming laps in the pool with weights on. They couldn't be bothered to memorize all the atmospheric calculations and gas ratios one needs to know. Did you know 33' is one atmosphere in diving? My first deep sea dive was off of Casino Point in Catalina Island! I can ACTUALLY scuba dive. It has been many years since I last dived...but with a quick refresher...I'd be back in the calming, quiet of the vibrant ocean in no time! One day...Frank and I will get certified together and enjoy the ocean we love! Hey...MAYbe that would be a great anniversary present. Hmmmm....
Every now and then, on my way to work, I get to hear snippets of Alistair Begg's teaching on KKLA between 8-8:30 a.m.. If you'd like to hear Pastor Begg for yourself, check out
www.truthforlife.org and you can download MP3s of his sermons.
Today, Pastor Begg made the following statement, "False teachers are acquainted with the Truth but not arrested by it."
Acquainted - (as a verb) "to make more or less familiar, aware, or conversant." (Like I could talk a good game about surfing! But NEVER actually surfed.)
Arrested - (as a verb, 2nd usage) "to catch and hold; attract and fix; engage." (Like I was so interested in scuba diving, I enrolled in a class and actually became a scubadiver!)
Pastor Begg went on to clairfy what he meant. Those who are acquainted with the Truth, know just enough to sound like they really know a lot about something. However, when you try to pin them down and get a solid answer on an issue, they will waffle and deflect or refer to "so and so's teaching on the subject." In stark comparison, those arrested by the Truth are able to "walk what they talk." They are eager to talk about what God says, not what their opinion is or some other fella's opinion on the matter.
I'm pretty sure if you are arrested by God's Truth, it will be evident in your love for Him and His people.
Which is what the PW Devotional is about today (imagine that!?).
So, acquainted or arrested?
Oh God! Help me be arrested by Your Truth...today & every day!!! Will you pray that for me? And, I'll pray that for you.
| Go: Love Each Other Posted: 18 May 2009 09:31 AM PDT "Keep on loving each other as brothers." (Hebrews 13:1) Some people measure Christianity as a collection of "don't" statements. Even some Christians seem to think that a relationship with God is mostly about what we do NOT do. By that logic, the best Christian would be the one who never does anything at all. But the writer of Hebrews, after making the case for faith in Jesus as the only way to receive God's grace, ends his long letter with a command cluster of DO statements. His point is that our faith should compel us to take action -- to DO something and not just sit there. This week, we'll look at 7 things Jesus followers can go and do -- because we are Jesus followers. The first is familiar: Keep loving other Christians like brothers. We are family. Real family, God's family, loves with the forgiving, patient, understanding, grace-giving, helping hand, showing up, not letting go love of Jesus. Let's go and do that today. Think: Have you ever been tempted to define your relationship with God by what you do NOT do? Why is a don't list an unhealthy way to measure what it means to follow Jesus? Pray: Ask God to help you to keep on loving other believers as brothers. Do: Make a list of 3 specific ways you could show the love of Jesus to some other Christians this week. ![]() |
P.S. Frank, are you reading down here? Let's get certified to scuba dive! =D
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home