Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Betrayal

I apologize, I've been out the past few days and not feeling well.  But, I am back on track again and, although we'll be a bit behind, I will continue forwarding the PW Devo's from last week.  They are SO good!
 
Have you ever seen the movie, "First Knight?"  It is with Sean Connery, Richard Gere and Julia Ormond.  I guess it is a decent movie about King Arthur, Lancelot and Guinevere.  When I read the following devotional, a particular scene in that movie instantly came to mind!  If you haven't seen the movie, check it out...I believe it is rated PG-13...so, get your parent's permission first...but let me know if you see the same thing I saw.
 
Well, there is this one scene when King Arthur (played by a decidedly handsome Sean Connery) walks in on Lancelot & Guinevere and knows his wife has betrayed him.  The look on his face is utter shame and hurt and deep, deep betrayal.  It is an excellent moment of acting by Mr. Connery and I felt his heart-rending betrayal and pain.  Ms. Ormond, who plays Guinevere also does an incredible acting job of understanding the pain she has unleased on her King.
 
Each time we sin, chase after the things of this world...we betray our Lord and King, Jesus.  Yes, we are already forgiven; however, what happens is we get sidetracked and are unable to continue on this beautiful, personal relationship with the Lord.  We MISS out on the opportunity to walk with Him, love Him and experience opportunities to be used by Him for His good will and purpose.
 

PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals

Grieve Mourn Wail: Happy V-Day!

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 02:02 PM CST

"Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom." (James 4:9)

Happy Valentine's Day! Okay, believe it or not, this really is one of the most romantic verses in the Bible. It's just from the saddest part in the love story.

Imagine the most passionate couple you've ever met. He pursued her. Sacrificed greatly to win her. Pledged his eternal love for her. And she for him. Except that she was so young and her heart wandered and she started carelessly flirting with other men, seeing them behind his back, having the time of her life, really.

Then one day she realized he knew what she'd been doing. When he confronted her, the devastated look in his eyes drained all of the joy from her. It wasn't just that she felt shame and fear; it killed her to know how deeply she'd hurt him. She wept.

James wants us to weep like that, like the faithless lover grieving over her betrayal. Yes, we're forgiven in Christ. Still, our sinful choices — our infidelity toward our God — should bring us deep sadness grave concern. We've got to stop pretending like our sin doesn't matter to Him.

Think: How often do your sinful choices make you feel sad? Why should they? If you don't feel anything about your sinful attitudes or actions, what can you do to change that?

Pray: Ask God to allow you to feel devastated by your future sinful choices and to feel passionate about remaining faithful to Him.

Do: Write a quick love letter to God, thanking Him for His love and forgiveness for you because of Jesus and asking Him to find you ever more faithful to Him.

Visit PlanetWisdom.com for more great resources!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home