Friday, February 06, 2009
I never thought I'd say today was a good day after burying my mom earlier in the day. But, I do have to say, it was a good day.
I think my mom & the Lord were honored in the service we held today. Pastor Keith did an amazing job ulogizing my mom. My family attempted to hold it together...and it was okay that we couldn't. It was fitting. It rained. The flowers were beautiful. The people were kind and encouraging. Rhonda & Jenna sang beautifully.
I am at peace. I am exhausted. It was FREEZing at the cemetary. The clouds seemed to break up a little and the sun was shining. I was okay with that. We didn't actually get to see my mom put into the ground, which I think was probably for the best.
I forgot my camera. (Who REALLY takes a camera to a funeral, anyway?) Well, as it turns out, my sister wanted pictures of the flowers, casket, burial plot, etc. Hm, well, that is a detail I totally forgot about. I guess her sister-in-law & husband came to the service. I wish they'd introduced themselves to me!!! But that is okay. They emailed my sister and told her the service was wonderful.
It seems Jenna DID bring her camera. She was helpful and took pictures of all the flowers for me. That was awesome.
So many people helped prepare the food for after the service. I hope I remember all of them so I can thank them. It was so nice and amazing.
My dad kept remarking on how many people showed up. He said that a lot of people really thought a lot of my mom. I had to remind them that they also thought a lot of him. It is a little strange to see him so self-effacing.
Now we go back to the business of living. It will seem strange for a while. Maybe for a long time. But, I'm ready. I'm tired of crying...being sad...planning a funeral...doing a slide show...wondering who will come...
I wanted to write these thoughts down before the day is done. I don't know why I feel the need to take in every moment. Maybe it is because of the recent experience with death.
This will sound strange, but I wonder how Jesus felt after he had conquered death? And, what was He in that intermittent state? The time between His resurrection and ascension into heaven? Something to ponder...when I'm not so tired.
Yes, today was a good day.
Love,
Mary



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home