Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wanting Only God

How did you do yesterday with checking your obsessions?  Or your obsessions with your possessions?
 
Think about it...what was that ONE really wonderful thing, award, girlfriend/boyfriend, etc., you really wanted a year ago?  Did your wanting stop there?  Was it so satisfying that you never wanted again?  That is the unhealthy part of worshipping things/people and not God.  We are never fully satisfied and constantly want more.  How many old toys are gathering dust in our rooms?  How many objects of love/infatuation have come and gone?  And you still feel lonely...empty...unfulfilled.
 
Read what David wrote about thirsting for God...

As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God? (Psalms 42:1-2)

Wow!  Ever been SO thirsty you'd do just about anything for a drink of water? Oh! And, have you ever drank of something only to find out it doesn't quench your thirst?  Milk is like that for me.  Sometimes, I get really thirsty and think a nice, chilling ice-cold glass of milk will do the trick.  Then, only after I've drank about half and my brain has figured out this ISN'T what I really needed...I am still thirsty!  Isn't that the way the love for the world is for us?  We THINK this thing, person or place will satisfy us...and then...about so many steps into whatever that thing is...we are no longer excited, satisfied, fulfilled and so we abandon it to search for the next shiny new thing hoping it will bring us fulfillment.

Some of you did the "praying everyday experiment" we asked you to do last week in Youth Group.  And, I was so happy to hear the results of some of your experiences.  Even one of you was creative and prayed while taking a shower!  Keep going...God will NOT disappoint you.

Obsess about God.  Thirst for the Living God.  Taste and see that the Lord is good.  Like that old Cheap Trick song, "I want you to want Me."  God wants you to want only Him.

Read on and see why.

I love you & pray for you daily,

Mary


 

PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals

A Jealous God and Faithless Hearts

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 03:06 PM CST

"Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.' " (James 4:5-6)

Is God jealous of our emotional attachments to worldly things? Or are our human spirits naturally envious of each other's worldly things? Bible scholars suggest this verse might mean either of those, and we know both are true.

Our God is a jealous God. He bought us with the price of the blood of Jesus, and He is not going to share us with the world. It is also obviously true that we are tempted when we see everyone else enjoying the pleasure, possessions, and status we all crave. We are tempted to cheat on God to get those things.

So what's the answer? Grace and humility. God gives me what I cannot earn: forgiveness, mercy, patience, new chances to be faithful to Him. I respond by being more humble, admitting my plans for me are worthless. I need His plan, His power, and His hope, not my own.

Think: Do you ever think about God being jealous of your emotional attachments to worldly things? How could you show your trust in Him by being humble?

Pray: Thank God for His grace to give you what you could not have earned from Him on your own. Ask Him to help you to be humble in the way your live your life with Him.

Do: Read about Jesus' humility in Philippians 2:5-11.

Visit PlanetWisdom.com for more great resources!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home