Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Enemies of God?

Wow! So, I tossed and turned ALL night long. What is up with that? I guess I can no longer take Claritin-D. When was the last time you tossed and turned all night and then, you suddenly fall asleep only to hear the alarm go off? Sheesh, that is SO frustrating. I'm going to be hating life later today.

Do you toss and turn all night when you think about your relationship with God? Not that I'm recommended sleep deprivation...but our relationship with God should be a daily struggle for us. If we aren't struggling with one issue or another...maybe we've grown cold in our love for God or maybe we've grown hot in our love for the things of the world.

I do recommend "things of this world" deprivation. Not quite the direction the following PW Devo is going...but, any thing or any one who takes the place of God in our lives, or becomes the object of our obsession becomes a false idol we worship. It is spiritually unhealthfy for us to worship any one or any thing other than the Creator of the Universe. Think about that and agree with God that what you are obessing about is wrong (sin), tell Him you're sorry, bask in His love & forgiveness, and worship Him and Him alone!

Read on.

Oh, by the way, Happy Wednesday.

I love you & pray for you daily,
Mary

PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals

Cheating on God?

Posted: 10 Feb 2009 01:31 PM CST

"You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God." (James 4:4)

It's Valentine's week, so I picked the most romantic verse I could find to kick off our devo's for the next few days. Okay, no I didn't. I picked one of the least romantic verses — though it is packed with emotion.

What James is going to get in our faces about this week is how deeply God cares about what you and I feel emotionally attached to. Friendship and romance both describe a level of emotional involvement. I feel emotionally connected to my friends, my wife, my God — and to many of the things in life that make me happy.

James slaps us with this: If you are close enough to the world — everything in life that is about serving and entertaining and promoting yourself — to call the world "friend," you are God's enemy. You hate Him. It's like cheating on Him emotionally, and He won't let you get away with it.

Stay tuned: We're going somewhere with this.

Think: How often do you think about being emotionally connected to things or people? How could you be a friend to the world?

Pray: Tell God you don't want to be His enemy or be unfaithful to Him in any way. Ask Him to help you to reject being friends with the world and to know what that means.

Do: Read 1 John 2:15-17 to hear John's definition of things in "the world."

Visit PlanetWisdom.com for more great resources!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home