How's your treasure???
Luke 12:34
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Last night at Youth Group we listened to a sermon from John Piper. His emphasis was on not wasting your life. The one thing I remember the most was the demonstration on comparing what we treasure in life. He said something like, "as you’re eating food, are your treasuring God more?"
- Are you seeking satisfaction, fulfillment and comfort from food or God? Do a reality check. Take out the word "food" and put something else in there: friends, prestige, accomplishments, reputation, fun, being clever or witty, boyfriend/girlfriend, work, future plans, trips, money….
- The point is who or what do you treasure most? What you treasure, you fear the most of losing. To put it another way, are you more fearful of falling out of a right relationship with God than making new friends and "fitting in" at your school?
I’m lazy. Laziness is a sin.
- I found myself laughing yesterday as I was driving home from work. I was on the phone with my mom and she was being "mom." She was warning me to not overdo it (whatever it is) and to get my rest. With her southern drawl she said, "now remember, Marlizbeth, you had mono[nucleosis] when you were younger [15 yrs old and thanks to sharing an orange juice bottle with Denny Pearson, who was infected with mono and didn’t bother to tell anyone – really! I would LOVE to say I contracted it kissing an infected person…but I did not] and they [proverbial experts] said you’d always need to take it easy and get plenty of rest."
- It then hit me where I got the idea it was okay to justify my being lazy. Such pride! Like I knew more than God and I was an exception to His standard. I’ve played that "mono" card [recording] so many times that it has become a natural part of my life and excused, glossed over or made me not responsible for the fact that I am lazy.
- Earlier in the same day, I’d had an email exchange admitting my lifelong battle with my weight was largely due to being lazy. And, my love or treasuring food more than God. I think that is why Piper’s particular illustration with food struck a respondent chord deep down inside.
- So, I did go to bed by 9:45 p.m. last night, but I didn’t go to sleep. I spent time with God. I repented of my laziness and asked God to reshape my heart so I can treasure Him more than everything else….food, sleep, fashion, money, people’s opinions, EVERYthing.
Some of you don’t have a problem with laziness. It seems, this young man in the following passage pretty much lived an exceptional life. However, he lacked one thing.
Mark 10:17-22
As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.
You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
And he said to Him, "Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up."
Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.
Think about it.
Please do keep me accountable on the laziness.
Be encouraged.
It is never too late to run after God.
Ready, set….g…stop.
Be still and know that God is God. (Psalm 46:10)
Be real.
Dogledanji!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home