Friday, September 17, 2004

Football, Snack Shop Duty & the Real World...

I went to Jameson’s Fresh/Soph football game yesterday! Yeah! They won, 21-0. Goooo Hawks. Jameson was looking mighty fine in his football gear, I might add. Frank and I noted how modest the freshman cheerleading squad was dressed. Yes, their skirts were short, but not hiked up or high cut on the sides and the tops were very sporty with a high v-neck cut. I was impressed.

At last night’s Varsity Football game, I had Snack Shop detail (which Frank came along to and was tremendously helpful!). As I had done the Little League duty in year’s past, this wasn’t too different. I was pretty beat by the end of the evening and Frank was overheated, but still smiling and being pleasant to everyone. You have to admire a man who can be personally tired and hot, but not make those around him pay for it. His can-do attitude and willingness to help is always a positive influence on me. I need to learn to be more like him, especially in this area. Frank’s my hero!

I had invited Miss Jenna to come along and help me out in the Snack Shop, unaware that those under 18 cannot work in the Snack Shop (legal, insurance reasons…blah, blah, blah). Indeed she came (did I mention we were at Valencia High School’s campus???) and was a breath of fresh air! Jameson also had to attend the Varsity game and sell 10 programs. As Jenna couldn’t help me, she assisted Jameson with the selling of programs. They managed to sell his quota and had fun watching the game and occasionally visiting us at the Snack Shop.

When you’ve spent the last 13 years of your son’s school life in a private, Christian school environment, the Real World of public high school can be quite…um…the best word to describe this really escapes me…but "shocking" will do for now.

Another Snack Shop gal, and freshman’s mother, worked next to me most of the evening. Her name is Stacy and she is a Christian. Her son, Josh is a friend of Jameson’s. He too, recently left the private school sector. She said that after her first day or two of dropping him off at school, she was ready to yank him out and enroll him back in private school! Just then, three females…er…young ladies…er…girls walked up to the window. They were very immodestly dressed and appeared to all have had selected areas of their bodies augmented (cosmetic plastic surgeon augmentation). All the other mom-workers were rude and ignored these customers. I helped them out and sent them on their way. Welcome to the world of football moms and the clash of the teenybopper football groupies. So, Stacy looks at me and says, those girls are mild compared to some of the gals at El Dorado.

A bit later, Jenna and Jameson come and grace us with their presence. As soon as they left, Stacy asked who the "young lady" was with my son and that she obviously doesn’t go to El Dorado. At that moment, I was so proud of Jenna! She looked beautiful (she’d probably prefer I say "cute"), but was dressed modestly (though fashionably) and conducted herself as a Christian young lady should. She was smiling and being polite to those around her (adults & students alike). She was such a stark contrast to the other female students wandering down to the watering hole. I explained who she was (a friend and a student in our church youth group) and Stacy said, ah yes, she’s a Christian…that explains it, that’s why she’s so different.

Hope springs eternal. There was no "acting", no "I’m at church so I need to act a certain way," it was just Jenna and Jameson, interacting and having fun, enjoying their evening…being salt & light.

Are you being salt & light in your world today?

Matthew 5:16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Mark 9:50 Salt is good; but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.


I love you all!
dogeldanji!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home