Friday, May 28, 2004

Modesty (You HAD to know it was coming!!!)

How you dress, how you act, how you think and what you say are important to God. As a Believer, there must not be “even a hint of sexual immorality…or any kind of impurity…” Wow – not even a hint! (Ephesians 5:3-5)

I recall a situation in a group of adults (all Christians) and someone began to tell a story. Before they began, they said, “this may be a bit rude, but…” and before they could finish, another adult immediately said, “Then don’t say it!” That has stayed with me. If I am about to tell something funny, I reflect upon that incident. Am I about to say anything that would be considered “obscene, foolish or coarse joking?”

We can all get a little crazy around my house. And, we do love to laugh and have a good time. One of the immediate things I admired about Frank (and still do) is he never uses foul language, tells unclean jokes, makes double entendre, lewd, or suggestive comments. He just doesn’t do it! He was taught to be careful how he talks. Recently, Frank realizes this area of his life is a testimony to others. Everyone where Frank works knows he’s a Christian. Explaining why he talks the way he does has opened more doors for him to talk to others at his work about Jesus Christ and what he believes.

As many of you know, I have been researching and studying for the “Modesty” retreat for the gals. Yes, it is coming! I am still studying, planning and looking for a place for all of us to go. Anyone have a beach house they want to loan us for a weekend???

Modesty isn’t about just what we wear, though that is a huge indicator of what we believe about ourselves, God and His standards for modesty. Modesty is also about how we talk, how we act and what we allow to surround ourselves with. Modesty ultimately begins in the heart.

I am so thankful God has standards for how Christians should live. And, He has quite a bit to stay on the matter of modesty. As I reflect on this Ephesians passage I am convicted about many choices I have made in the past and evidences of those choices on my CD rack, Video Cabinet and bookshelves. Some people argue that what they listen to, watch and read don’t really affect them. I’m not so sure any more. That may be true in some cases, but, is it wise to allow yourself to watch, listen or read something that has even a “hint of sexual immorality…or any kind of impurity…” in it?

If we are called to be holy, set apart, wouldn’t that apply to what we allow ourselves to read, listen to or watch? (I Peter 1:13-16)

Something I wanted to leave you with – The blessings of Modesty. The following is from Nancy Leigh Demoss’s booklet The Look: Does God really Care what I wear?

Ask yourself, “What will others notice and see? Where will others’ attention be drawn?”


“Modesty is something good, desirable, and precious. There are many blessings you can experience as a result of modesty. They include:
Peace – You’ll know that you are obedient to God.
Power – You’ll be free from enslavement to fashion, fads, and others’ opinions.
Protection – You’ll be guarded from the wrong kind of attention from the wrong kind of men. (Dressing modestly doesn’t guarantee that “the wrong kind of men” will never give you unwanted attention, but it sure helps!)
Purity – You’ll attract the right kind of attention from the right kind of guys.
Privilege – You’ll experience greater freedom in marriage as your body is reserved only for your husband.
Praise – You’ll be valued for spiritual and heart qualities more than physical characteristics.


As you all (guys included) hit the beach, the mall, the movie theater, your friend’s house- frankly, anywhere you go- take a moment to think about what you are wearing. More importantly, think about what you are wearing in your heart. If your heart’s desire is to love, honor and glorify God, chances are, what you wear, say and do will reflect that! And, if you are ever unsure about what you are wearing, get a second opinion – from your Mom or better yet, your Dad. Think about it! If you need a second opinion, you probably shouldn’t be wearing it! And, if mom or dad isn’t available, you can always ask me! I’ll be kind, but truthful!

“…whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” I Cor. 10:31
Do a study on the following verses – I Cor. 6:19-20; I Cor. 10:31; Prov. 11:22; I Tim. 2:9-10; Rom. 14:8; 19-21; Romans 12:1-2 (the whole chapter is good!); Prov. 31:30; I Pet 1:13-16).

I love each one of you dearly! I am compelled to show my love by helping you understand why Modesty is important and what God has to say about it!

dogledanji!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home