Thursday, May 13, 2004

Are you eating from the garbage can?

This week, Sally and I began a literal translation of a “Discipleship” study she brought back with her from Germany. This study is written in German. Sally is reading it, translating it and I am typing it on the computer. To both of us, the German diction often seems quite redundant. It seems that the writer keeps emphasizing certain truths over and over. However, I have pondered upon these redundancies the past two days.

One of the points made was a new Christian should have a hunger and thirst (desire) to read God’s Word. Just like you need food every day to grow, keep your strength, stay healthy and have energy to make it through your day so a Christian needs God’s Word. The following verses illustrate the benefit of reading God’s Word.

Psalm 19:7-11
The law of the LORD is perfect…
the testimony of the LORD is sure…
The precepts of the LORD are right…
the commandment of the LORD is pure….
The fear of the LORD is clean…
the judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Psa 119:9-16
How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.
Your word I have treasured (hidden) in my heart, that I may not sin against You.

Psa 119:97-105
How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
From Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

2Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

One of the commentaries I was reading had this to say, “What we love, we love to think of. All true wisdom is from God. The soul has its tastes as well as the body. Our relish for the word of God will be greatest, when that for the world and the flesh is least. The way of sin is a wrong way; and the more understanding we get by the precepts of God, the more rooted will be our hatred of sin; and the more ready we are in the Scriptures, the better furnished we are with answers to temptation.”

You know, the interesting thing is as Christians, we don’t realize we are hungry for God’s Word. We stuff ourselves with the junk food of this world: books, music, TV, movies, video-games, ungodly friends, selfish pursuits. When we are full of what the world has to offer, we have no taste for God’s Word. Why would that be?

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

I recall Pastor Keith once talking about many of us act like a homeless person who digs in a garbage bin, satisfied to feast upon the leftovers, the rubbish, the moldy, decomposing waste of expired food. In reality, if we are Christians, God has prepared a lavish banquet with every good thing we need to fully live and thrive as His children. He has given us His Word, the Bible. He calls us to come inside and feast upon His Word and be satisfied by His love letter to us.

Reflect upon your week…how much time have you sat feasting upon God’s Word? How much time have you spent digging in the garbage bin? Do NOT tell me you don’t have enough time. You have enough time. The problem is you don’t want to sacrifice some of your “down” time. I know, I do it too! I can get lost for hours in a meaningless novel. Before I know it, I will have read halfway through a book, glance at the clock and realize it is 3:30 in the morning!

“What we love, we love to think of.”

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ! You are starving to death spiritually. The more you feed upon this world, your sinful desires and wants – the more emaciated you will become as a Christian. Get out of the garbage can. Get into God’s Word. He does not disappoint. And, only He can truly satisfy that emptiness you feel deep down inside. Really.

dogledanji!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home