Friday, August 12, 2011

Thoughts after Pismo...

With great anticipation for what God would do, Frank and I prayed for and eagerly awaited our 7 day/6 night Pismo Beach Camping Trip.

 

Pismo is over.  The spiritual sparks ignited that week continue on.

 

What did you learn about God, yourself and others?

 

You all completed the "One Anothers." 

Do you realize you lived them out all week long? 

How crazy is that!!!???

 A.    Love one another.  John 13:34-35  

I learned to not go it alone.  Trying to be efficient, I went to the grocery store while all of you were listening to Frank on Sunday evening.  There, I met Jan, a South African Jewish man who isn't religious, but has many religious friends.  Jan's view of God was quite whimsical and based on man's view, not as Jehovah God reveals Himself to you and me in His love letter to us, the Bible.  Pray for Jan's salvation.  I challenged him to read Isaiah 53.  He promised he would.  After 45 minutes, I hadn't finished my shopping and Frank was texting me out of concern, "where are you?"  Perhaps, had another been with me, the conversation with Jan might have been more fruitful.

 B.    Submit to one another. Ephesians 5:18-21

 The Truth that submitting to Frank pleases God was reinforced all week long.   As I bit my tongue and waited out most situations, God worked through Frank to say just the right things and elicit deep, soul searching responses from you.  A great example of this was the testimony time around the campfire on Friday night.  As we started, I saw the discomfort and look of fear in some of your eyes.  At one point, I tried to get Frank's attention and suggest he ask for volunteers rather than go around the circle.  I'm so glad God didn't allow that to happen.  What happened was amazing, God honoring and the final bonding of a group responding to each other's testimony.  We found out we had so much in common.  We found out the impact faithful men in our church have on your families.  We found out we all struggle in similar areas and share the Spirit of the living God.  We also found out some are still struggling with their salvation and haven't come to faith in Christ yet.  We found out one made a decision for Christ that week!  What a huge, immediate lesson to me on remaining quiet, to continue in prayer and to submit to the God ordained leadership of my husband and spiritual leader.

C.    Be humble toward one another. 1Peter 5:5

D.    Forgive one another. Ephesians 4:32  

I learned waiting on God's timing brings healing and a renewed relationship.  This one is too personal to share in detail.  But, God allowed me the opportunity to make right a wrong and seek forgiveness.  The sweet unity that followed was so deeply restoring and honoring to Christ.  I am so thankful I waited and God blessed me so richly!

E.    Spur (Encourage) one another on. Hebrews 10:23-25 

I was reminded how God gives us exactly what we need at just the right time.  Honestly, Frank and I shouldn't have physically made it through the hectic schedule created for this trip!  Even Andrew commented by saying, "how do you guys keep up this pace!?"  My only explanation is God.  He gave us an extra dose of energy, patience, love and care for all of you.  It is really cool when you think about it.  It wasn't us at all...two almost 50ish adults climbing sand dunes at midnight, getting up after 4 hours of sleep, playing paintball, barking out game rules, teaching, singing, driving (and not falling asleep)...it had to be God's Spirit rejuvenating us, keeping us awake and enthusiastic all week long.  We asked for God's help, and He overwhelmed us with His grace and mercy all week long!  Praise God!

F.    Bear with one another. Teach, admonish each other. Colossians 3:12-17   

I was reminded how precious the time is when we get alone with God.  My heart burst with joy each time I observed you all seriously pursuing your Personal God Time.  It encouraged my heart and made my alone time with God that much sweeter.

G.    Offer hospitality to one another. Minister gifts to one another.  1 Peter 4:8-11  

I had the joy of observing the Body of Christ united and working together.  As Adam said on Sunday, each of you brought different perspectives to the Personal God Time.  And, because we didn't place demanding parameters on you, and waited for God to work in His way, you broke off into groups and discussed some of the harder questions.  You even kept discussing them while doing other things.  That, my sweet brothers and sisters in Christ, is exactly how the Body is suppose to work, how fellowship encourages us to grow in Christ and how we can enjoy God in all situations and circumstances.  I know our week together is a bubble like experience, where the distractions of daily life are removed, but you all had a taste of what it means to live out the Christian life in work, play, friendships and Bible study.

H.    Confess your sins to one another. Pray for one another.   James 5:10-16   

I heard your heartbreak as you revealed struggles in your lives, your families and your faith in Christ.  My heart broke for you.  And, know I pray for each burden shared...each personal heartbreak spoken, and, the ones unspoken.

 

What God did all week long is all that mattered on this trip!  Sure we had fun, we played some silly games, we kept busy – but through it all, God was at work drawing us closer to Him, to each other and to a deeper relationship with Jesus.

 

The best part, the fellowship we enjoyed, the personal God time we shared, the testimonies we revealed, don't have to end when Pismo is over.  I hope you realize that!  I hope you are looking for ways to live in God's presence, care more about what He thinks and glorify Him with your life.  I hope friendships flourish.  I hope memories of a great week spur you on to love and good deeds until each time we can meet again.

 

Frank and I love you all, very dearly, and pray you fall truly, madly, deeply in love with God.  Everything in this world, in this life, may satisfy for a brief moment...but only God satisfies completely.

 

Augustine was spot on when he observed this truth: "You have made us for Yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in You…"

 

What did you learn at Pismo?


--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.org
http://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home