Thursday, July 21, 2011

“Adorning the Gospel” with the way I look or dress...

Last night, Frank and I went to an Angel's game (they won!).  We were given really great seats by Frank's company.  It was an "office outing."  I enjoy watching baseball live; however, sitting where we were, I was more distracted with the sea of people swarming around me than with what the baseball players were doing on their perfectly groomed field.

 

It still surprises me when Frank concludes our night out together by saying, "I was watching you look around and how wonderful you looked.  I like looking at you."  With this simple comment he reaffirmed he only has eyes for me.  He declares me beautiful.  Seriously, this still gives me butterflies in my stomach and a silly smile on my face.  The old me would've thrown in a joke about Frank needing glasses.  But God has blessed me with a loving, caring husband who I've learned to trust, completely.  If he says it, it must be true.  I don't quite see what he sees, but I believe him.  And, because God has had great compassion on me, saved me and given me Frank, I believe Him when He says, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139:14).

 

Do you believe you are "fearfully and wonderfully made"?  God makes no mistakes.  The world lies to you and shows you an image you must compete with to "be beautiful."  God declares you "fearfully and wonderfully made"!  He showers you with this Truth.  You are already beautiful.  The lie of this world jerks our focus off of Christ and on to ourselves.

 

Back to the game.  For the most part, where we sat was surrounded by the "beautiful" people.  Even though the favored color was red (for the home team), the code of dress for the females was tight, off the shoulder tops, shorts and high heels.  Now, I've worn my share of high heels, but honestly, never to a sporting event.  Even the co-workers we were sitting with had a caliber of dress that accentuated their assets, so to speak.  The message was loud and clear, "I am a luscious female and I demand your attention.  I want to be a distraction.  I want you to pay attention to me, and me alone!"

 

It felt like the game was incidental to the colorful plumage, preening and fluffing of feathers going on around me.  People came here to see and be seen, not to watch a major league baseball game.  It reminded me of a narrative from Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo.  He recounts those in attendance at the opera in Paris.  Nobility and families with means didn't pay any attention to the opening act.  They were involved in people watching, noting who came with whom, what they were wearing and at what time they arrived/departed their boxed seats.  In fact, it was quite common to talk over the actors and draw attention away from the opera.  It was all about vanity, perceived wealth and position in the rank of important people.

 

Somewhere in the 3rd inning, a gaggle of giggles arose and a cell phone was passed around with a rather alarming picture.  In our row, the next section over, was a perfectly tanned female wearing stylish cutoff jean shorts which accentuated her long, toned legs, and, a top partially obscured from view by her long, highlighted blonde hair.  She did have a tank top of sorts on, as, from the back you could see the colors of her undergarments.  For a few minutes, I was fascinated with her belt and matching, trendy, high-heeled shoes.  They were quite complementary.  Her skin color was an evenly darkened tan indicating many hours worshipping the sun (or tanning bed).  Her movements were graceful and ladylike.  She didn't flip her hair.  She didn't bounce around drawing attention to herself; and, yet, she drew wanted attention by her mere appearance.  Without saying a word, her message was loud and clear, "look at me."  All of this I surveyed as she had her back to me.

 

The cell phone picture had captured her from the front view.  The visage didn't match the body.  This lady had to be in her early to mid-sixties. From the back, she looked to be in her late thirties to mid-forties.  Unlike men, women age dramatically in their face.  And, if they've lived a hard life...or an unwise life of partying...or worshipping the sun...their faces take the hardest hit.  And, so it was with this lady.  Incessant tanning, or plastic surgery, botox and/or skin peels could not hide the advanced age of this lady.  Yes, I still think of her as a lady.  Despite her attire and attempts to cling to a younger age, she still moved and acted like a lady to me.  Interesting, don't you think?

 

After the laughter died down, my gaze returned and was fixed upon this vision of faded beauty.  Upon closer inspection, the long, healthy hair was a wig.  Her skin tone betrayed advanced age.  Although she was slim and toned, her skin sagged.  And, she was quite alone.  After this realization, my heart ached for this lady.  I thought I bet she could use a long, lingering "you are loved and accepted just as you are," hug.  She needed a Frank in her life; someone who only had eyes for her.  She needed a Savior.  I regret I didn't get out of my comfy seat, from the warmth of my husband's arms, and go talk to this lady.  I pray God gives me a "next time" and I seize the moment.

 

I also felt compassion for the young women around me who were so taken with showing the cell phone picture, laughing, and ridiculing this stranger, who in fact, could easily be an older version of any one of them.  Perhaps it was a seed of fear that they could end up like this lady someday, which prompted them to find such humor in the moment.  They too, need a convincing hug which says they are loved and accepted, just as they are.  They need a Savior.

 

They need to hear the Truth of the Gospel: God loved us, while we danced in our wicked ugliness, and sent Jesus to take our place on a cross of shame and humiliation.

 

The following article from the Blog, Lies Young Women Believe, arrived in my inbox today.  Our focus should be on Christ, not the lies of this world defining beauty for us.  We need to "adorn ourselves with the good news of the Gospel."

 

If Only I Could Be More Beautiful

By Paula Hendricks on 07/21/11 posted on http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/index.php?id=763

 

My friend recently sent me an email admitting some of her struggles with beauty. She asked if I'd ever struggled too (uh . . . yeah!). I thought I'd share her questions and my answers with you in the hopes that it will encourage you and remind you of who and what your beautiful body is for!

1. Are you ever tempted to get attention from/allure guys with your body?

Absolutely. Every day.

2. If so, how have you fought that temptation?

Well, in a weird sort of way, it helps that I've already "been there, done that." I spent my teenage years on an ever-increasing pursuit of beauty. I whitened my teeth, highlighted my hair, tanned, wore revealing clothes when I could get away with it, and frequented The Limited and other favorite clothing stores almost as often as most moms frequent the grocery store!
 
But it was never enough. The harder I tried, the more insecure I felt. There were always other girls who were more beautiful, who would show off more skin, not to mention the "perfect" bodies men see in pornographic images everywhere. (How can you compete with that?) All my efforts toward external beauty never won me my ultimate goal: to be loved, truly loved, by a guy.
 
Sure, I had guys who wanted me, but they wanted to have sex with me; they didn't care to know and cherish and delight in me the way God created a man to love one woman for life. 
 
So now, when I catch myself thinking, I wonder what this guy is thinking about the way I look right now?, I realize it's ultimately a matter of who I'm trusting in. Am I trusting my good, wise God to give me what I need when I need it, or am I trusting in my looks in order to feel beautiful, gain admiration and worth, and meet my desires?
 
Do you know what is driving you to pursue outer beauty with so much determination and energy? Dig deep, and ask God to show you what you believe physical beauty will ultimately deliver for you. As with all idols, there's something you trust beauty will give you. . .
 
3. Are you secure in the way God made you, physically?

Umm . . . for the most part, yes. Although it wasn't always that way. From that first day on the playground when the other kids yelled, "Look! Paula runs like a duck!" I tried to hide the fact that my legs were bowed (crooked). I learned how to stand and walk so it was less obvious. I wore capris rather than shorts when possible.

My crooked legs aren't the only less-than-perfect part of my body. I actually pray that when I'm married, I'll be so focused on bringing my husband pleasure that I won't even think about myself and my own insecurities. I pray he will delight in my body even though it's not anywhere close to "perfect" by the world's standards.  

I made up a question a while ago that really helps me evaluate my motives and repent on the spot: "Am I seeking to distract men or attract them to Christ?" Because that's the purpose of this body and life of mine . . . to bring God glory—to know Him and make Him known.

I also like the way Elyse Fitzpatrick defines Christian modesty as a refusal to show off out of love for God and love for our brothers and sisters.

4. How have you sought to find your security in Christ?

Honestly, that's been more God's work than mine. He's been so faithful to teach me more about what the gospel really means—that I have been crucified with Christ, that it's no longer I who live, but it's Christ who lives in me. He is my life! He is my security. His love for me will never fail. I will never have another love as strong as His for me. I am reoriented and helped as I meditate day after day on the Good News . . . on all of Scripture, actually.

5. What has God taught you over the years about outward beauty?

Like all my idols, if I worship beauty—if it consumes my thoughts, time, and energy—it will only disappoint me and leave me feeling empty. I don't think it should be ignored or neglected, though. As Christians, we can swing to extremes. I think our beauty—outer as well as inner—should attract others to the Christ who lives inside of us. I'm so grateful that God made me a woman and that I can "adorn the Gospel" (show others how beautiful it is) even with the way I look and dress!


--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.org
http://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home