Monday, May 09, 2011

The Trials of Life...and Headline News

"It's been a Disney kind of week: The Last Song is on cable, a prince got married, and the bad guy died."  —Nicholas Sparks
 
Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live? (Ezekiel 18:23)
 
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. (Matthew 9:36-37)
 
Hello Youth, Parents & Friends,
It has been some time since I've posted.  I do apologize for the absence.  Work has been a flurry of activity...Dad's health has captured a lot of my energy...and, Frank & I have been walking, fully embraced, through the "Valley of Vision." 
 
When I was a little girl in San Antonio, Texas, I learned an acronym for Joy - J=Jesus first, O=others second, and Y=Yourself least of all.  We also used to sing the song, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart to stay!" And, though this was a rowdy song with all of us yelling and screaming "Where!" the Truth of this has stayed with me, all this time:  I have complete joy when I focus on Jesus and hide myself in Him.
 
In the midst of this past month, God, in His incredible grace and mercy toward me, has allowed me to know His joy and a peace which goes beyond my feeble understanding.  He has met needs, answered prayers and arranged circumstances to reveal His glory and His hand at work in my life, before I even utter, screamed or whispered a desperate cry of, "Help!"
 
He has assuaged my fears of Dad being home alone by allowing Randy French to minister to my dad on a daily basis.  Randy has been provided by God to allow me peace of mind so I can concentrate on work, while at work.  Randy has been an amazing blessing and I am so very thankful God has provided him at just the right time.
 
Also, God has allowed, at some time in the past, for some researcher or biochemist to develop a drug which helps Alzheimer patients stabalize their memory - and has allowed the neurologist dad sees to recommend this drug to dad to, "see if it will help him."  And, although we are only into the 3rd week of this new drug, both Frank, Randy and I have seen some improvement.  Praise God!
 
Then we went through a period of time when dad kept falling.  These were times when no one was home with him to be his memory and remind him he can't do all the physical labor things he used to do (like bringing in the garbage cans from the street).  It was clear to me that dad needed someone more than just a few hours a day.  I was so overwhelmed with this situation that I literally cried out my frustration to God and begged Him to help my dad.  On that SAME day, I logged in to facebook and a college student needed temporary housing for about a month...and was willing to stay with us!  And, though this wasn't to replace Randy, it was to give him some time off while I worked out some issues regarding dad.
 
It was so very sweet and clear to me God Almighty was (and is) taking care of my dad (and me & Frank).  He was already at work sorting everything out.  It was a gentle Father reminding me, His independent, stubbornly strong-willed child, to trust Him, lean on Him, wait on Him.  In hindsight, it was the calming presence of my heavenly Father already at work to prepare me for a new storm which was blowing our way.
 
Last Monday, Frank and I had to appear in a Los Angeles courtroom.  Frank and I are still having to deal with legal matters relating to a business we owned over 10 years ago.  And, though it is emotionally wrenching to have to go through this, I can and do have joy.  I'm really not a touchy feely person...but I cannot explain the physicial feeling, the overwhelming sense of peace, joy and God's providential hand washing over me.
 
Though what we are going through is nothing compared to what Job went through, I still thought about Job.  The verse, Job 13:15a "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him:" another version translates, "...I will hope in Him:"  Throughout this past week, when given a decision or situation, my heart has rang out, "is this trusting God?" And, I have reacted accordingly.
 
We would appreciate your prayer for us.  We are not out of the dark woods yet, but we do have our loving, heavenly Father shining His lamplight of Truth over our very next step.  We are totally depending upon His guidance and have joy in His leading us.  Our hope is in Him.  Our circumstances are allowed by Him for His purposes and reasons.  To God be the praise, glory and honor!
 
In light of this past month, I've thought about the news of Osama bin Laden's death.  I am thankful God allowed his capture.  But, I was not in a celebratory mood.  It was for me, rather, a sobering moment.  And, I thought today's discussion from the blog, Lies Young Women Believe, was exceptionally good and edifying to me, and so I pass it along to you for your edification.
  
How should we respond to the death of Osama bin Laden?

Faith posted by Erin Davis on 05/09/11

A reader recently sent me this email:

Erin,

I have a question concerning the recent death of Osama Bin Laden. Of course, I am very pleased that he is no longer creating havoc on earth, but is it right to celebrate that he is most likely spending eternity in hell right now? It just seems odd to me. Could you maybe blog about that soon? Thanks!

Mary

Since this is a blog about lies and truth, I wanted to take the time to address Osama's death in light of God's Word. As you consider the world event, I want to urge you to keep God's Word in mind. More importantly, as you talk about the death of Osama Bin Laden with your family, in your classes, and among your friends, I hope you will seize the opportunity to point others toward God's truth.

Here are some key talking points.

1. God is Osama's judge.

Psalm 9:7–8 says "But the LORD sits enthroned forever; he has established his throne for justice, and he judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with uprightness."

Navy Seals and governments and leaders may take credit for Osama's death, but ultimately God will judge his actions. It is a good reminder that we all answer to the Lord and that He is a God who always upholds justice.

2. If Osama did not know Jesus, he is separated from Him for eternity.

Romans 6:23 warns that the "wages of sin is death." Romans 10:9 provides hope that if we confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead, we will be saved from the death we deserve.

Ultimately we cannot know Osama's heart, but we can assume based on what he said and how he lived that he did not accept Jesus. The result of his sin is that he will be separated from Jesus forever.

This is a sobering reminder of the reality we all face. With Jesus we have the promise of eternal life in heaven. Without Him we face eternal separation in hell.

3. God's grace is big enough for Osama Bin Laden.

If Osama Bin Laden had accepted Jesus as Lord and confessed his sin to Him, even at the eleventh hour, he would be with Jesus in paradise right now. His sins were not too big for God to cover. Jesus would not have had to hang on the cross any longer to redeem him.

This truth may upset our American sensibilities. We want Osama Bin Laden to pay. We may even want him to suffer. But this does not match up with the beauty of the gospel. Jesus loves Osama Bin Laden. He created him and He did not desire for Osama to suffer for eternity.

Here's proof.

Second Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance."

We certainly serve a big God with ample grace. Osama Bin Laden's death is a sobering reminder of this truth.

4. A somber response is necessary.

Proverbs 24:17–18 says, "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,
lest the LORD see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him."

In spiritual terms, Osama's death is not a great victory. God doesn't enjoy the thought of anyone spending eternity separated from Him. He isn't gloating right now and neither should we. Our world may feel safer, but the truth is it was always as safe as God allowed it to be. Tyrants may come and go, but God's authority to rule remains and His desire to redeem even those of us who seem beyond redemption is still on full display.

Thanks for pushing me to think this through, Mary. You've reminded me that I serve a God is who is big, loving, and always on the throne.


--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.org
http://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home