
I've been reading others' blogs on Christmas memories and began to muse over a few of mine.
I'm not sure why, but in Jr. High & High School...some of the more annoying boys used to come up to me, pointing, and say "Mary Christmas! Get it?" Yeah, I got it. I got tired of informing them that the "Merry" in Merry Christmas isn't spelled the same as my name, "Mary." As I reflect on those moments, it dawns on me that perhaps this was a botched attempt at flirting with me. Sheesh! I was so insecure, it never occurred to me that these boys were actually trying to flirt with me and strike up a conversation in any way possible. Hm...missed opportunity. Or was it? He.he.he...I mean, who wants to date or carry on a relationship with someone who didn't understand the difference between the way a proper noun was spelled and an adjective? Really.
One Christmas, I was in the 4th grade and REALLY wanted a watch for Christmas. What is it with me and watches? My parents had left me in the care of my older sister, Judy. While they were gone and she was occupied, I approached the wrapped presents under the Christmas tree. I sorted out all the presents sent to me from "Santa" (wondering why my parents still insisted Santa gave us stuff...especially a few days before Christmas, no less?). Meticulously, I unwrapped all of my gifts to ascertain if I received the much desired watch...and, I did! I was elated. Carefully, I rewapped each present and rearranged all gifts back under the Christmas tree. No one was the wiser. A few days later, I felt so guilty, I confessed to my dad what I had done! He was pretty upset with me. He grabbed up all my gifts and stuffed them in a closet. I had NOTHING to open on Christmas morning. A few days later (or it could have been that evening, I don't recall)...my dad let me have all my presents.
While in college (Christian Heritage in El Cajon, CA), I worked with the Youth Group. We adopted a family who was struggling financially. We pooled all of our funds and purchased presents, toys, Christmas dinner, Christmas tree & decorations and clothes in all the right sizes for a mom, two younger boys and one teenaged girl. We were to be secret and the family was never to know who we were. An elder in the church took the family out to dinner and a movie. We had so much fun! We ran a little short and everyone emptied their pockets so we'd have just enough. When we arrived at the unsuspecting family's apartment...it was so empty, drab and the cupboards were pretty sparse. We stuffed the refrigerator with yummies. We stuffed the pantry/cupboards with all kinds of food. We decorated the entire place with the tree, presents & lights. It was so fun! As quickly as we arrived, we left. A few weeks later, the family sent us a thank you card. There wasn't a dry eye in the room after we finished reading the card. That was a Christmas to remember!
I have fond memories of decorating our house as a teen for Christmas. Most of my family memories revolve around mom cooking in the kitchen and dad watching his beloved Cowboys play football. I still have a picture I treasure of my parents hugging in the kitchen. My mom was so busy and my dad went in to bother her. He kissed her and she told him to go away, she was busy. At that moment, I stopped them both and took their picture. My mom was annoyed, but smiling and my dad was all Cheshire cat grins.
I have pictures of Jameson with Santa Claus (and bear bear - his stuffed polar bear). Pictures from Jameson's many Christmas programs. In one, he is an angel (I guess I had to know that would not last!). In another, he is wearing a red, button-down shirt underneath a Christmas green sweater. He is smiling so big, his eyes are all squinty.
I have good Christmas memories of Youth Group parties, trips to Disneyland and a recent progressive dinner ending up at our home.
As I ponder the Christmas season on this Christmas Eve...I wonder at all the hustle and bustle of Christmases past. I don't really recall any special gifts given or received. I wonder why we carry such an intense preoccupation with that "perfect" gift? One of my co-workers was mourning the fact she couldn't give her kids the big ticket items this year like she did last year.
I think we are all guilty of trying to replace our love and affection to one another with the gifts we give. Not many of us, in this generation or the next few, truly understand the concept of sacrificial giving. Somehow, a gift is supposed to represent or embody the feelings we have for each other.
When Frank and I were first dating, Christmas hit us with little or no money to spare. I asked him to simply get me a card. I explained to him how a card takes time...effort...and more than likely, reflects the sentiments of the purchaser for the intended recipient. It really WAS the thought that counted....to me.
What are your favorite Christmas memories?
As you celebrate Christmas eve tonight and Christmas Day tomorrow...take a moment to focus the family around you. Find a moment to tell each one of them how much you love them and are thankful for them. The best Christmases...are the ones remembered in the heart.
And, take time to read the Christmas Story found in Matthew chapters 1 & 2. Also read John 3:14-17.
Merry Christmas to you all!
May the love of Jesus reign in your hearts and minds now and forever.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home