
On Sunday, Frank welcomed Sally's violin version of his favorite song: Breath of Heaven. And, although he cannot stand Amy Grant (one of my original favorite contemporary Christian artists), he does like her version of this song as well. I imagine, once we dig out the cd from a box, we'll be listening to this repeatedly over the next week or so.
One of MY favorite Christmas Carols is: O Come O Come Immanuel. Every morning, on my way to work, I play selection one on my cd over and over and over. It is a Fresh Aire version with some Gregorian moaners...er...um...singers doing a classical interpretation of this beloved carol. I only recalled one or two stanzas, so I googled the lyrics and have reprinted them here for your edification.
Though salvation is freely offered to Jew and Gentile alike, the nation of Israel still has a future appointment with the Messiah! One day, as the books of Revelation, Isaiah and other prophetic books in the Old Testatment record, the nation of Israel will repent and pray for Messiah's return. And He will return! Before that happens, however, Messiah will first return for His bride, the body of Christ: the church, and rapture her away from the impending wrath of God (yes, I am a pre-trib-rapture-ist).
Israel as a nation and a people are God's chosen people. In Deuteronomy 32:10 and Zechariah 2:8, the Lord God calls Israel "the apple of his eye." And to Abraham, God said in Genesis 12:2-3, "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Psalm 122:6 also encourages us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem. This Christmas carol is a prayer for Israel.
It reminds me of the assurance we have in Christ Jesus and the hope that God's plans are certain and will not be thwarted by any created thing.
It thrills my heart to think about a collective nation praying for their Messiah (Jesus Christ) to return! I guess that is why this Christmas Carol is so loved and meaningful to me. No, I am not Jewish. But, I am a child of God. I eagerly await my beloved Lord's return!
O Come O Come Emmanuel
O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
I love you all & pray for peace in Jerusalem!
-M
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home