It's Official...Pismo!
In the midst of crazy Southern California weather, even crazier Christmas shopping, and end of the year tidying-up-ed-ness...I'm thinking about Pismo. Fondly, I remember several key years and moments that, even now, bring a huge grin to my face. Images of campers from the past still flash across the movie screen of my mind: Justin's grin as he holds Nate's hand; Jenna looking away from the camera and playing with the sand; Sarah saying goodbye to a beloved pair of shoes; Frank with blonde tips and impish grin on his face; mud buddies; paintball wounds; huddled campers trying to snatch as much warmth as possible from a glowing fire; Jameson and his black hair; the immunity monkey; James & Megan hoola-hooping; Sasha throwing back her head in laughter at Jameson's white-boy hairy legs; Jenny's token "sleeping" picture; Austin's birthday shots; Tyler's fashion debut; AJ's posed pics; Alicia's sunglasses shot...and, so many more.
Wednesday night, everyone seemed alarmed that I had NOT called Pacific Dunes to secure our reservations for Memorial Day Weekend 2009. I smiled inwardly at their disgusted looks and pleading eyes. They REALLY want to go back. I am amazed. I guess there is something to a gang of us packing up our camping belongings and heading out to a cold, sandy, public camping place for a few days.
I spoke with Tom, the manager today. He definitely remembers us. "Yes, yes...he will still accommodate our Youth Group. We have a really solid reputation with them!" "Memorial Day Weekend? Are you sure?" And, just like that, we have our reservations secured for May 21-24, 2009. We have 5 sites instead of the usual 6.
Right now, the thought of camping with a group of teens who are eager to go...is very appealing to me. It always is. This time away is sweet, memorable and often the only time Frank and I get one-on-one time 24 hours a day with core people in our Youth Group.
Now, if 10 students will confirm with $200 they are going...we'll definitely be going.
What WILL we do for Summer Camp? Ahhh...that is another detail slated for discussion in 2009 (early, 2009).
I can smell the Pismo campfire even now. Deep, wistful sighhhhhhhhhhh.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home