Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks!

As a reminder, Youth Group is NOT meeting this Wednesday!  I will be home all day on Wednesday doing the following (NOT exactly in this order):
1.  Freeing Ranger from the torment of raindrops.
2.  Sprucing up my home for Thanksgiving Company: Dad, Mom, Frank, Bill, Debbie & Jamesonnnnnnnnn.
3.  Cooking like a CRAZY person as many dishes as I can in advance...so on Thanksgiving morning, I can relax and provide moral support to Frank (the AMAZING turkey rotisserie-er-er).
4.  Awaiting the arrival of one Miss Sasha (who plans to come over and hang out with us...cause we're so cool like that!).
5.  Calming Ranger from the bowling strike-like sounds of thunder.  Tranqulizers anyone?
6.  Preparing some yummy-licious goodness for Sasha and Frank to eat when they determine they are hungry.
7.  Going shopping for the "AFTER THANKSGIVING Clam Chowder feast at our house" - Please RSVP if you are coming to feast upon Frank's Clam Chowder in Sour Dough Bread Bowls...and weigh in on your nomination for the movie we should watch.  Personally, I think something with a Christmas flavor would do nicely.
8. Getting out my china, formal silverware (okay, it IS only stainless steel), etc.
9. More cooking and deliciousness so my house will smell like a haven of mouthwatering aromas.
10. Meditating upon my Lord and all the wonderful things I am thankful for!!
 
And, by the way...following is a great Planet Wisdom devotional to get your thankful creative juices flowing!
 
I wish you all a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving!
 
And, one of the thankful mind/heart/soul walks I will dwell upon is each one of you!

PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals

Thanks from the Fish

Posted: 25 Nov 2008 07:21 AM CST

"But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD." (Jonah 2:9)

You'd never guess that the verse that follows this one contains the word "vomited." Remember Jonah? God told him to go east. Jonah didn't like the gig and tried to go west. God sent a storm and a big fish to do a little catch-and-release with His prophet.

In the belly of the beast, Jonah repented. And as often happens with repentance, he was filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude. He looked forward to singing thanksgiving songs while keeping his promises to God.

Notice: This desire for thanksgiving came before God freed Jonah from the fish. Jonah's impulse to thank God wasn't just because he was having a better day. It was because He was back in close fellowship with God.

Think: Have you noticed that giving thanks to God comes more easily when you're close to Him? Do you need to repent and turn away from any sin in your life today so you can rediscover a thankful heart?

Pray: Ask God to help you to listen when he convicts you of sin, of going the wrong way on the path He's marked our for you. Then ask Him for courage to turn around and tell Him thanks.

Do: Add another 10 things you're thankful for to the list you started earlier this week without repeating anything from the first few days.

Visit PlanetWisdom.com for more great resources!

You are subscribed to email updates from PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner
If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals, c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA 60610

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home