Friday, November 21, 2008

Ramblings about a tiny nuisance

I work at a hospital.

 

Sometime last week (I think it was last Friday when I was cutting roses for an arrangement on my fireplace mantel), I was impaled with either a splinter or thorn.

 

It wasn't until Sunday evening when I noticed this small discomfort on the pad of my left index finger (Mr. Pointer for those of you from my generation).  I don't know if it was restless energy or heightened anxiety (we WERE watching the 3+ hour movie "Exodus"), but I found myself absentmindedly scraping/scratching this area on my left index finger.  And, it hurt.  So, I stopped.  However, I must have scraped/scratched it enough to cause it to inflame slightly, because.

 

At work on Monday morning, I was doing data input and noticed whenever I typed, mostly, the ts, gs, bs, fs or rs on the keyboard, my finger would protest with this nagging pain.  Now, don't lecture me on the correct posture for typing…I've been typing since before you were born (nod to James Fox)!  And, gasp, I was taught typing on a manual typewriter (ah, the good old days of the late 70's).

 

Anyway, I work at a hospital.  Keyword: HOSPITAL.  My supervisor instructed me to go to our associate health department (think, school nurse) and see if they could help me with my pain.  Mind you, this was after about 20 minutes of doctors, other associates, etc., trying to extract the splinter from my finger!  Associate health was no help either.  They didn't even have tweezers to extract the wee beastie from my finger.  One offered the fall-back "digging with a needle" approach, to which, I politely declined.

 

I've tried the soak in hot water method.  I've tried the biting it method.  All to no avail.  And, I KNOW this offending thorn will eventually be pushed out of my finger by my body.  It is just this annoying, nagging nuisance constantly distracting me throughout my day.

 

I wonder if this is how my sin looks to the Holy Spirit?  Or, is that my problem: that I would regard sin as an annoyance rather than a huge gaping chasm separating me from a right relationship with my Lord?

 

Oh Lord! Help me see sin the way you do!

 

P.S. BTW, today is my favorite day!  That it happens to coincide with the premier of "Twilight" does not go unnoticed by me! 

 

P.S.S. Frank rotisseried a scrumdillylicious turkey for his company pot-luck today and it was aromatizing the house this morning.  My stomach was being taunted by wonderful wafting turkey vapors.  Ahhh…Thanksgiving is just around the corner.  Which reminds me…I have a Turkey & Wild Rice recipe to send to Sarah. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home