Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Val:Ornery and Sweet!



Val, our Abyssinian cat gently fell asleep and passed away. Yes, her "time" had come. Frank and I agreed it was time to end her suffering and discomfort and he made the call for an appointment at the wonderful Cat Care Clinic in Orange, CA. Dr. Wexler-Mitchell (a caring and excellent cat specialist) would attend to Val.

In retrospect, we assigned a lot of human emotions to Val during her final time with us. She seemed to "know" what was going on and was quite vocal during the car ride to the clinic. I couldn't put her through being transported in a cat carrier, so, Frank gently wrapped her in a beach towel and cradled her in his arms as I drove to the clinic.

She meowed quite loudly during the short ride. Which is an uncommon sound coming from this breed. Usually, their "meows" are silent, followed by a lot of loud purring. Frank said, "I think she knows." This caused my eyes to brim with tears and a huge lump developed in my throat.

I don't doubt Val considered the car ride and "sensed" something was different. However, I truly don't believe she "knew" her end was soon. I will spare you the blow by blow details of Val's last moments in this life, but I will tell you her passing was gentle, painless and quick. I couldn't stay for the final injection, but Frank did. He is far braver than I. Dr. Wexler-Mitchell assured Frank that we gave Val a good home and she was cared for in a manner fitting for a cat. She then hugged Frank.

We both cried throughout this event.

While I waited outside for Frank, I was angry with myself that I couldn't stay until the end. So many thoughts went through my mind…and this was just our cat!!!

Val was often referred to as the "spawn of satan" by Frank and others (ahem, Bill). And, though she was quite ornery…she was often just as sweet. I will miss her. However, I am relieved that she is no longer suffering or in pain.

There are so many analogies I could expound upon; however, today is to remember Val: an ornery and sweet cat.

I love you all!

Dogledanji!!

P.S. We still have Kate & Allie! Two of the sweetest "dog-cats" I've ever known. We were told they would look for Val and eventually, one of them would assume Val's dominant role in the kingdom of cats. Peace reigns supreme in our home now. Never again shall we own a third cat. Two are quite sufficient!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home