Speak Easy . . .
Pro 25:11-12 -
A word of counsel, or reproof, rightly spoken, is especially beautiful, as fine fruit becomes still more beautiful in silver baskets.
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all His mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-2 MSG)
Lately, I've been reminded of the importance of measuring my words and considering how others will react to what I say (or do not say, but infer with my body language, "meaningful" looks, etc.). Earlier this year, Rhonda gave some sage advice to a situation with which I was struggling. Her words of wisdom were, "pray more, talk less."
Our air conditioner is working quite well right now! However, it has this one little glitch: a broken con
densation pump. I don't know a lot about this particular part of the AC unit, but I do know when it is not working properly. Our hallway carpet dampens and water begins to pool, making a cold, rude awakening in the wee hours of the morning when, half asleep, I trudge to the kitchen in search of my wake up elixir: coffee! For those of you who have cats…it is not unlike stepping, barefoot, onto a1-2 hour old coughed-up hairball.
In an effort to save the carpet, we've elected to not operate the air conditioner. If you live in Southern California, I don't need to tell you how hot, humid and miserable the summer weather has been recently! Last night, when I walked into our house, it was 95 degrees! Our poor cats were prostrate on the carpet. Just looking at them, with all their shaggy black hair, made me break out into a sweat!
Until last night, we've been struggling to sleep with numerous fans positioned in windows trying to suck in the cool night air to our overheated house. We've not been sleeping well and usually are able to cool off and drift to sleep by about 1:30 or 2:00 a.m.
Frank created a stopgap fix for collecting the water the AC unit produces. Ahhh…the refreshing, relaxing feeling of sleeping in a comfortable bed with air conditioning! It is most definitely a luxury that almost seems a necessity for restful sleep!
Our words, gestures, attitudes to each other should have the same effect. And, leaving someone refreshed after having spent some time with you is definitely a necessity, not a luxury.
Consider what God tells us in His Word:
Do you want to be counted wise, to build a reputation for wisdom? Here's what you do: Live well, live wisely, live humbly. It's the way you live, not the way you talk, that counts. Mean-spirited ambition isn't wisdom. Boasting that you are wise isn't wisdom. Twisting the truth to make yourselves sound wise isn't wisdom. It's the furthest thing from wisdom--it's animal cunning, devilish conniving. Whenever you're trying to look better than others or get the better of others, things fall apart and everyone ends up at the others' throats. Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced. You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor. (James 3:13-18 MSG)
(John 13:34-35 NASB) "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
(John 15:12, 17 NASB) This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. This I command you, that you love one another.
(Romans 12:10 NASB) Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;
(Romans 13:8 NASB) Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
(Galatians 5:13 NASB) For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
(Ephesians 4:2 NASB) with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
(1 Thessalonians 3:12 NASB) and may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you;
(1 Thessalonians 4:9 NASB) Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another;
(1 Thessalonians 5:13 NASB) and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another.
(2 Thessalonians 1:3 NASB) We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater;
(Hebrews 10:24 NASB) and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,
(1 Peter 1:22 NASB) Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,
(1 Peter 4:8 NASB) Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.
(1 Peter 5:14 NASB) Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace be to you all who are in Christ.
(1 John 3:11 NASB) For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another;
(1 John 3:23 NASB) This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.
(1 John 4:7 NASB) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
(1 John 4:11-12 NASB) Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.
(2 John 1:5 NASB) Now I ask you, lady, not as though I were writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another.
Are those around you refreshed after spending time with you? Are your words like a cooled, air conditioned room on a hot, muggy summer day…or do people leave you in search of that relief?
Pray more…talk less.
Ask God, through the Holy Spirit, to give you wisdom and discernment in every area of your life…but especially when it comes to what you say and how you say it. Let the Holy Spirit lead your conversations. Remember it's not about you.
I love you all!


1 Comments:
This was awesome...
You are truly amazing & I thought you should know that.
I love you...
Post a Comment
<< Home