Thursday, July 08, 2004

Seagulls

What is life REALLY about?

Some of my favorite scenes from “Finding Nemo” deal with seagulls. In one scene, a flock is hanging around on a rock and all of a sudden a crab is thrust up out of the water in eyesight of the seagulls. One at a time, the seagulls start repeating, “Mine.” Eventually, there is a cacophony of “Mine”. It is pretty funny. I cannot see a seagull today without thinking about that scene. If you have the DVD, try playing it in another language…it is even funnier.

As you swim through the sea of humanity throughout your day, listen for the human “mines” going on around you and even coming out of your own mouth. Well, our “mines” sound more like the following: This is what I want. This is what I desire. This is what I have planned out. This is what I’m going to do right now. My wants and my desires are more important than yours. I want it done my way. I’m going to make this happen. I’m going to buy this [insert purchase here…i.e., CD, pair of shoes, car, combo meal, outfit, etc.]. I want in that lane. My time is more important than your time.

Is life really about “mine”? Life is really about God. One of my favorite verses, Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still, and know that I am God, I will be exalted above the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Some versions have for “be still”, cease striving or stop! or be quiet. Pastor Keith once preached “know that I am God” means to experience and understand Who God is. Have you experienced and do you understand Who God is? Part of that is reflected in knowing that your life is about God. Your life is not your own.

Earlier in Psalm 25, David writes about waiting for God all day long.

Psalm 25:1-5 A Psalm of David. To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, in You I trust, do not let me be ashamed; do not let my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed; those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed. Make me know Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day.

Are you a seagull chiming in with the rest of the world, “Mine, mine, mine!” Or, are you a child of God praising, praying, reverently saying, “God, God, God!” For indeed, my brother and sister in Christ, God is what our lives are to be all about. Don’t be a seagull.

Pray for me that I won't be a seagull either.

I love you!
dogledanji!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home