Friday, June 18, 2004

Avoiding Idle Talk . . . Article on Gladys Aylward (~1904-1970)

Psalm 19:14 – “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.” (NASB)

Avoiding Idle Talk

SHUN the gossip of men as much as possible, for discussion of worldly affairs, even though sincere, is a great distraction inasmuch as we are quickly ensnared and captivated by vanity.
Many a time I wish that I had held my peace and had not associated with men. Why, indeed, do we converse and gossip among ourselves when we so seldom part without a troubled conscience? We do so because we seek comfort from one another's conversation and wish to ease the mind wearied by diverse thoughts. Hence, we talk and think quite fondly of things we like very much or of things we dislike intensely. But, sad to say, we often talk vainly and to no purpose; for this external pleasure effectively bars inward and divine consolation.
Therefore we must watch and pray lest time pass idly.
When the right and opportune moment comes for speaking, say something that will edify.
Bad habits and indifference to spiritual progress do much to remove the guard from the tongue. Devout conversation on spiritual matters, on the contrary, is a great aid to spiritual progress, especially when persons of the same mind and spirit associate together in God.

From The Imitation of Christ by Thomas, à Kempis, 1380-1471

I am convicted by comments I made last night. I do not want to be known as a person who speaks ill of others, an idle gossip or a critical spirit. I want to be known as a woman who honors Christ is all she says and does. I was wrong for speaking poorly about Frank’s mother last night and I need to ask forgiveness of those who heard me. I was disrespectful, a poor example and dishonoring to Frank (and his mother). Earlier in the evening, I had a conversation about this very thing and fell victim to it! How terribly the tongue can be. And, it only reflects what is in the heart. Pray for me that I will be more careful to reflect Christ and not myself. Praise God for giving us Jesus Christ. Praise Him for satisfying the debt I could never pay. Thank you God for reminding me of how much I need You and am nothing without You.

This morning, I heard Alistair Begg mention this lady in his message. The point of his message is that God uses us in our weaknesses (2 Cor 12:8-10). The following article doesn’t cover the one point he made…this woman was known by the Chinese as The Little Woman. Apparently, she was just 5 feet tall and had straight, jet-black hair. In wanting to go to China, she approached a Mission Board. They evaluated her and found her too small, too weak (not "robust") and not fit for their board. She regarded God’s call in her life more important than the assessment of men. Read her story. It will challenge you. It did me!
Gladys Aylward, Missionary to China
Circa 1904 – 3 January 1970

May you seek God's will above your own...in all things.

dogledanji!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home