Tuesday, June 08, 2004

How we live . . .

Paul describes how Christians are to live in Colossians 3. As I reflect on this passage, I have to ask myself, are these things seen in my life and relationship with Christ?

…keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God
…Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth

- While I’m washing dishes, getting ready in the morning, going on a date, walking into church, talking to my friends, going clothes shopping - my mind is supposed to be on Christ.
…put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.
- malice – planning in such a way as to bring about harm or hurt to another person; slander – gossip, telling lies about someone as if it were truth; abusive speech – cursing, making fun of a person, harming another with your words.
…do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him
- I won’t lie about anything to anyone.
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved:
…put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience

- can how you treat others: your friends, your parents, those in authority over you, your enemies, your siblings, significant others, complete strangers; be characterized by these qualities? More importantly, when you think about them, do you think about them in a way that reflects these characteristics?
…bearing with one another
- when someone shares a problem with you, do you agree to pray for them, hold them accountable and follow-up on how they are doing? Or, when they walk away, do you forget about it 1-5 minutes later?
…forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone
- not only when forgiveness is asked, but when forgiveness is not asked.
…just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you
- how did the Lord forgive us? Completely.
Beyond all these things
…put on love

- do you reflect love? You are to “put on love”. Does your face wear love? When people look at you, do they see love? Or, are they distracted by what they see? The fruit of the Spirit is love.
…let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body
…be thankful

- When something bad happens to me, when my parents say “no,” when I don’t get my way, when I have to watch my little brother instead of doing something with my friends, when he or she breaks up with me, when there’s no money, when God says “no” - I’m to be thankful.
…let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom:
…teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
…singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God

- The Word of God (Bible verses) is to take up residence inside of my mind and heart.
- I will encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ with words, songs, hymns, and spiritual songs. Unlike what the WB is doing with Superstar or American Idol for that matter. Ouch. Or, “hey, listen to this new song by Coldplay, it will really encourage your walk with Christ…” or not.
Whatever you do in word or deed
…do all in the name of the Lord Jesus

- Whatever I do, should bear the name of the Lord Jesus on it. Hmm…”this report, homework assignment, application, letter, email, blog was done under the name of Jesus by me.”
…giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
Whatever you do
…do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men

- My job, my chores, my homework and what I am asked to do that is not on my job description, list of chores, etc., is to be done with enthusiastic gusto as if the Lord, Himself, has asked me to do it for Him. So, does that look like, “Sure Lord, I’ll gladly take out this garbage bag for You,” and I’ll do it with great enthusiasm in my heart as if I’d rather not be doing anything else!
It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
- I should care more about what Christ thinks about me and what I’m doing, rather than my friends, my family, my Youth Leaders, my girlfriend, my boyfriend, my best friend, my world. Why? Because I serve Jesus Christ. Not fashion, not popularity, not “fitting in”, not people’s opinions of me, not what everyone else is doing, not money, not success, not any one thing or person…only Jesus Christ.

Wow. May this be true of Christians, everywhere. And, may it begin with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home