Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Will Rise When He Calls My Name...

At the Harvest Crusade a few weeks ago, Chris Tomlin sang "I will Rise" live before 50,000+ people.  He explains he wrote this song to be a comfort for a family he knew who had lost their child.  Having just lost my mother earlier this year, you can imagine the sweet joy and overwhelming emotional response I had to these beautiful words of Truth, comfort and praise.
 
On my way to work today I listened to this song at least three times.  Each time, I turned up the volume louder than before.  Today, however, when thinking about this song, I thought of my son, Jameson.  As many of you know, he is not living with us, and hasn't been for just over a year now.  I miss him deeply and long for a restored relationship with him.  He is happy living with his dad.  He is happy pursuing his school, work and the world.  He is sick and doesn't even know it.  The grips of this world, his sin and inevitable physical death eat away at him like a malevolent virus racing through a weakend, immune compromised body.  If he knows this, he doesn't appear to either care or be aware of it.  Over this past year, I have prayed so many long, detailed prayers begging God for a restored relationship with Jameson.  Since the Harvest Crusade, my constant cry has been, "please God, save my son!"  Would you pray that prayer with me for him?
 
I don't want you to think I am angry at Jameson, because that is not the case.  We do spend time together, occasionally.  In fact, he plans to come over tonight after he gets out of school! Yeah!  I love him.  I long for a time when we can laugh together.  I long for the time when his heart is softened and changed.  I long for a restored relationship with him.
 
Only God can do that.
 
I take refuge in that statement!!! 
 
When I read this PW devotional today, I was excited!   The same Lord Who can raise Lazarus from the dead can certainly handle a hardened heart.
 
Before you read the devotional, I included the words to Chris Tomlin's song, "I will rise."  May it encourage your heart today and may you take refuge in the Truth we serve a Savior Who has conquered death and will, one day, call each one of us by name to join Him in eternity.  Just like He called my mother home on January 30, 2009.
 
Yep! We're singing this Wednesday night at Youth Group!
 
I Will Rise
By Chris Tomlin
 
There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
[x2]

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise
 

 

PlanetWisdom.com Devotionals 


Your Friend is Sick

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 03:14 PM PDT

"Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. So the sisters sent word to Jesus, 'Lord, the one you love is sick.' " (John 11:1-3)

Spoiler alert! To really get all the heavy stuff in the story of Jesus raising his friend Lazarus from the dead, you've got to know the ending before you start. But it's right there in the name of the story, so it's not a huge surprise. And you've probably heard it once or twice anyway.

Still, we're going to spend a week or two getting to know it better. And the first thing we should get is this: Jesus loved Lazarus and his sisters, Martha and Mary. Okay, yes, Jesus loves everyone. But He was friends with this family. He often stayed at their place when He was in town. He seems to have liked them a lot.

And they liked Jesus, too. They knew about His miracles. They believed He was who He said He was. They knew He could heal sick people at will. They probably expected Him to come and save their brother -- before he died.

Think: If you are a Christian, you have a close relationship with God because you are "in Christ." Do you ever expect Him to answer your prayers in specific ways? Is it wrong to expect God to respond according to our desires? Why or why not?

Pray: Thank God for Jesus' relationship with Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. Ask Him to help you to understand Him better through studying this story during the next week or so.

Do: John mentions Mary as one who washed Jesus feet with expensive perfume and her hair. Read that story in John 12:1-11.

 

--
Mary Hickcox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home