
Today I am detouring away from Planet Wisdom Devotionals to share with you a gem found in Oswald Chamber's, MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST. If you'd like to read other devotionals from this timeless treasure, click here:
http://www.rbc.org/utmost/index.php
I have to admit, it is naturally easy for me to write my heart out! But, it has always been unnaturally difficult for me when teaching about spiritual things or sharing the Gospel. Usually, I am hesitant and stumble over my words. In my brain, it is like there is this person sitting there grabbing at my words and quickly jumbling them around so they don't make sense! When anyone tells me I did a good job or what I said helped them, I am so thankful God allowed me to be used at that time. It is truly His working through me and not my own doing.
As we prepared to go to Guatemala...we all practiced giving our personal testimony of how God called us to be His child forever. The biggest thing Frank would emphasize is "stick with what you know." That seemed so simple to me! And yet, I still got jumbled up and somewhat tongue-tied.
I was asked to be prepared to give the womens' quilting group devotional on the first night we were in Guatemala. I had this elaborate outline, solid verses to support Biblical principles and even some witty line or joke. Then, tired and a tad jet-lagged, we all settled down for a nap shortly after we arrived in Guatemala. I really tried to sleep. But, I couldn't. So, I went over my outline and I prayed. At some point in my prayer, the verses about Mary & Martha and Jesus kept popping into my head...which had NOTHING to do with my outline or what I had planned to teach. And, just like that, what I had planned to say changed, completely. I "stuck with what I knew." I know about being busy and focusing on the things of this world rather than focusing and sitting at Jesus' feet. My longing and heart's desire is to rest at the feet of Jesus and know Him completely. I believe God used that to prepare me for the rest of the week. I wasn't involved with the plans of the trip nor the details of how every day was supposed to pan out. And, I am so thankful! I was able to be a tool to be used as the leaders saw fit and for God's use...even in the little things.
So much so that when my little group was lost (though we didn't know it) and separated from the rest of the group, I was not afraid, just relaxed and waiting - not panicking, not trying to control the situation...just at peace and waiting.
A friend of our translator showed up and met us where we were as we waited for the larger part of our group to join up with us. His name is Ronald (like "Ronald McDonald" they kept saying...cause I kept saying "Roland"). Ronald is a dentist. I politely listened to him as he explained to me how he could "fix" my teeth, bond them and give me a beautiful, white smile. We then discussed his business idea of providing cosmetic dental services to tourists. He offered me a discount rate the next time I came to Guatemala. I thanked him genuinely and said I'd think about it. He then asked me about what we were doing in Guatemala and the bracelet I was wearing. All week, I'd been wearing the "Gospel" bracelet many of our teams were doing as a craft in the local school. So, without an original thought in my head, I "stuck with what I knew" and shared the good news of the Gospel with Ronald. Who, by the way, is not a believer. I actually didn't know this at the time...but, according to the translator, I did a very detailed job explaining each colored bead and the Bible verses that supported each step of the way to Salvation. I even shared what a difference Jesus had made in my life! Ronald then commented that I really did have a beautiful smile and maybe I didn't need his help after all. Which I was a little confused about. But, Raquelina, the translator, said my face was glowing and my smile was beaming as I shared the Good News of Jesus Christ with Ronald. I am still amazed by this! I cannot really relay to you what exactly I said. I just know at some point I felt free to show Christ's love to this young man and share God's redeeming plan with him. Please pray for Ronald. He now is without an excuse and must make a decision to accept or reject Jesus.
And, because of God's choosing to use me on this trip and the experiences I encountered there...I am eager to share Christ with anyone who asks me. I am now more confident than ever that God will provide the opportunities and the right "words" to say to show and share His love with whomever. I seem to smile a little bigger, show kindness to others more than is typical of me and am eager to offer help to complete strangers. And, this is all because of God...NOT me! Is it possible God had to take me to Guatemala to show me He can work through me...in spite of me? If so, praise God!
God doesn't need our elaborate outlines or well-thought-out clever quips and jokes. He wants to use us with our inadequate, word-jumbled brains. He also wants us to know Him intimately by spending time with Him in prayer, through reading His Word and "practicing His presence." God loves to use His unshiny, tongue-tied, totally dependent on Him children. That's when He shines most and it is obvious He is at work. He gets the glory and we get the joy of being used by Him for His purposes!
(Don't get me wrong...we should be prepared and "...always ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;" (I Peter 3:15). So don't think I'm advocating "winging it." I am advocating you go with what you know, experience and understand as Truth about God. And, to hunger and thirst to know God more! The Christian is to be ever vigilant and put on the full amor of God found in Ephesians 6:10-20.)
Read on to see Mr. Chambers' comments on this Truth.
August 4, 2009
The Brave Friendship of God
He took the twelve aside . . . —Luke 18:31
Oh, the bravery of God in trusting us! Do you say, "But He has been unwise to choose me, because there is nothing good in me and I have no value"? That is exactly why He chose you. As long as you think that you are of value to Him He cannot choose you, because you have purposes of your own to serve. But if you will allow Him to take you to the end of your own self-sufficiency, then He can choose you to go with Him "to Jerusalem" ( Luke 18:31 ). And that will mean the fulfillment of purposes which He does not discuss with you.
We tend to say that because a person has natural ability, he will make a good Christian. It is not a matter of our equipment, but a matter of our poverty; not of what we bring with us, but of what God puts into us; not a matter of natural virtues, of strength of character, of knowledge, or of experience— all of that is of no avail in this concern. The only thing of value is being taken into the compelling purpose of God and being made His friends (see 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 ). God's friendship is with people who know their poverty. He can accomplish nothing with the person who thinks that he is of use to God. As Christians we are not here for our own purpose at all— we are here for the purpose of God, and the two are not the same. We do not know what God's compelling purpose is, but whatever happens, we must maintain our relationship with Him. We must never allow anything to damage our relationship with God, but if something does damage it, we must take the time to make it right again. The most important aspect of Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the surrounding influence and qualities produced by that relationship. That is all God asks us to give our attention to, and it is the one thing that is continually under attack.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home