Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Can you "have" yourself appointed King or Queen?

Good morning!
 
You know, I've read this passage probably a hundred times and heard it taught on perhaps just as many.  I never caught the phrase "have himself appointed king" before.  I KNEW this passage was about Jesus and about us being faithful to Him in our gifts, talents, abilities and lives.  I can't fully explain it, but my heart did a flipflop and I actually had butterfiles in my stomach when it dawned on me what this verse says.  I'm not sure any one person could just go off and say, "here I am, make me King."  But, Jesus is the rightful King.  He is my King!  And, if you are a child of God, He is your King too!
 
The other phrase I keyed in on "and then to return."  King Jesus is coming back.  It is imminent (meaning, it could happen at any time).
 
That is a humbling and exciting thing to think about all at the same time!
 
Some of you are off this week for Easter break. I want to challenge you to spend time in God's Word, the Bible, this week. And, why not start with this devotional and reading this parable Jesus teaches in Luke 19?

 

While the King's Away . . .

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 01:14 PM PDT

"A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. 'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.' " (Luke 19:12-13)

We're going to spend this week leading up to Palm Sunday listening to Jesus tell a story, a parable. It's one He told either on or the day or so before what we call the Triumphal Entry on Palm Sunday.

Jesus told this story at this moment for a few reasons. One was that many of His followers expected Him to become the King of Israel right away. He wanted to help them see that, like the king in his story, he would have to go away first and return later as the king.

He also wanted them to see that they had work to do while He was gone. If they really believed in His kingdom, they would eventually remember this story and be challenged to make the best use of their lives after His death and resurrection.

Think: If you had been following Jesus for years, expecting Him to overthrow the Romans and become the next king of Israel, how disappointing do you think it would have been when He died on a cross? How hard would it have been to keep living for Him after He was gone?

Pray: Thank God for Jesus' parable about the "ten minas." Ask Him to help you to understand and learn from it this week.

Do: Read in Luke 19:1-11 what happened between Jesus and a tax collector named Zacchaeus just before Jesus told this story.

Visit PlanetWisdom.com for more great resources!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home