Christ, Our Solid Rock
Today's Daily Bread is from Luke 18:9-14:
And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. "The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 'I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.' "But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!' "I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
My mom loves to read the daily bread and has sent subscriptions to almost everyone in our family. So, it was only fitting that as I visited briefly with her today, I read the "bread" for today.
In the Christian walk, many of us try to compare ourselves to each other. And, like the Pharisee, we think we are doing "pretty good." If we take an honest look at ourselves and compare ourselves to Jesus Christ…we should be convicted, humbled and the realization should dawn on us that we are nothing and without hope – but for Jesus! There is no good thing in us (on our own). Jesus is the perfect example and but for the Holy Spirit, we cannot come even close!
As I was discussing this with my mom (she politely listening while sleeping =D), I thought about the following song. Debbie was so wonderful to bring a church hymnal for me to sing songs to my momma. So, as I started to warble it out…I stopped and heard someone in the hallway playing a guitar and in a decent tenor voice singing "Amazing Grace," "Jesus Loves Me," and, "Great is Thy Faithfulness." I sang along. Eventually, this older gentleman stopped by our room. I asked him if he knew the following song…and he strummed out all four stanzas while we sang it together! Isn't God amazing!?
"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less" by Edward Mote, 1797-1874
1. My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.
2. When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace;
in every high and stormy gale my anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.
3. His oath, His covenant, and blood support me in the whelming flood;
when every earthly prop gives way, He then is all my Hope and Stay.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.
4. When He shall come with trumpet sound, oh, may I then in Him be found, clothed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne! On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand.
The gentleman said, "This is a great song for us to sing more often!" I agreed. We praised the Lord together and he went on to the next room. I regret I didn't get his name. We share the Lord and are brother and sister in Christ nonetheless.
Is your hope in Jesus Christ, your Solid Rock? If it is placed on any other thing, you are standing on sinking sand.
As I looked at my sweet mother, I was filled with renewed hope, the only hope I have in Jesus Christ. My mom was so polite to rest quietly while we sang and discussed these solid truths. I eagerly await the moment when her rest is complete in Christ and she awakens to a heavenly chorus praising God and singing about His holiness.
Be encouraged today! Cling to the Solid Rock of your salvation: Jesus!
I love you all and pray for you daily!
Love-Mary



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home