Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Writing to God

Have you ever thought about writing a song to God? I have. Usually, when I try to do this, I end up writing out a prayer from the bottom-most regions of my heart. Sometimes, I read back over what I have written and end up throwing it away. Often, I sound like a whiny, petulant child…not a gracious, thankful heir of the King.

Well, it looks like King David not only wrote songs…but put his prayers to song and recommended they be accompanied by the flute. I wonder what this particular Psalm sounded like?

I wonder if it was pensive and reflective? I wonder if there was a huge crescendo for verses 4-6, then a pensive pause and then a tender, quiet calm surfacing with verse 7.

King David definitely had a deep and satisfying relationship with his King. He knew God intimately and was bold in his adoration, imprecations (call down, or invoke a curse against evil or wrongdoers), and expressions of love.

Check it out:

Psalms 5:1-12
(1) For the choir director; for flute accompaniment. A Psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O LORD, Consider my groaning.
(2) Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, For to You I pray.
(3) In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.
(4) For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness; No evil dwells with You.
(5) The boastful shall not stand before Your eyes; You hate all who do iniquity.
(6) You destroy those who speak falsehood; The LORD abhors the man of bloodshed and deceit.
(7) But as for me, by Your abundant lovingkindness I will enter Your house, At Your holy temple I will bow in reverence for You.
(8) O LORD, lead me in Your righteousness because of my foes; Make Your way straight before me.
(9) There is nothing reliable in what they say; Their inward part is destruction itself. Their throat is an open grave; They flatter with their tongue.
(10) Hold them guilty, O God; By their own devices let them fall! In the multitude of their transgressions thrust them out, For they are rebellious against You.
(11) But let all who take refuge in You be glad, Let them ever sing for joy; And may You shelter them, That those who love Your name may exult in You.
(12) For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O LORD, You surround him with favor as with a shield.
--------------------------------------------
From Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Psalm 5:1-6:
God is a prayer-hearing God. Such He has always been, and He is still as ready to hear prayer as ever. The most encouraging principle of prayer, and the most powerful plea in prayer, is, to look upon Him as our King and our God. David also prays to a sin-hating God. Sin is folly, and sinners are the greatest of all fools; fools of their own making. Wicked people hate God; justly are they hated of Him, and this will be their endless misery and ruin. Let us learn the importance of truth and sincerity, in all the affairs of life. Liars and murderers resemble the devil, and are his children, therefore it may well be expected that God should abhor them. These were the characters of David's enemies; and such as these are still the enemies of Christ and His people.
--------------------------------------------
If you haven’t written to God lately…why not try it now? Write Him a poem…a prayer…a story…or even, a song! And, if you don’t have that kind of creative access…check out the Psalms and use these in your meditation and prayer.

Remember - 2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Even King David’s Psalms to God were written for our benefit. When you read them try to see how what you are reading is 1. profitable for teaching; 2. profitable for reproof (exposing our sin); 3. profitable for correction; 4. profitable for training in righteousness?

Try it out!

I love you all-
M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home