
When God doesn't respond to our prayers in the timing or way we think He should, what do we do?
We act. Most us of don't have the patience or faith to wait on God. And, in fact, had we just waited on Him Who knows us so well, and loves us and desires to give us good gifts, we'd have been far better off.
We look for the shiny things of this world instead of waiting for the glory of God to be revealed in a thing.
I'm going to pick on the gals today. Hey guys, if you read along, much of this applies to you too.
When I was a Junior in High School, I remember going to see "Somewhere in Time," with my friend, Amy. It was a romantic/fantasy flick feeding into my fleshly need to feel and experience romantic love. I distinctly recall my reaction to that movie as I said to my friend, "I don't care how much it hurts, I WANT to be in love."
Effectively, at that moment in my life I was saying, "God, I don't want to wait on You any more and love You with all my heart, mind, soul and spirit. I know what is best for me! I know what I need...and it walks on two legs and is of the male persuasion."
What a lie. What a huge mistake. What a pathetic choice I made in my heart at that moment.
Then and there began a road of huge heartbreak, angst and rebellion in my heart against God, His Word and the authority of my parents over me.
By the end of my junior year, I had a boyfriend. I had EXACTLY what I had set out in my heart to achieve. And, I was misreable. I came up with more and more reasons to not attend Youth Group and activities. I became isolated and it seemed I existed only for this guy, his phone calls and his presence in my life.
Instead of trusting God to bring the "right" guy into my life, I ran ahead of God and attached myself to the first guy who showed any interest in me. Oh, I had standards. 1. He had to be a guy. 2. He had to be a Christian. 3. He had to drive a car.
Sadly for many of you, being a Christian isn't even on your list of priorities when checking out what's available in the dating world. Dating a non-Christian is just like sitting next to someone who doesn't speak your language and trying to carry on a meaningful conversation. You end up pointing at things, smiling alot and "pretending" like you are getting somewhere in the conversation. In your dating of a non-Christian, eventually, you give up and give in to what comes naturally...physical attraction and things of the world.
In retrospect, I had attracted exactly the kind of Christian I was: someone who claimed to be a Christian, attended church and knew all the "right answers," but didn't have obeying God as a priority in my life. I wasn't in love with God. I had chosen the "shiny" guy over waiting for the "Godly" guy.
Many of you do exactly the same thing. And, because of it, you miss out on whomever or whatever God had in store for you at that moment when you chose to go your own way.
Let me do a brief comparison of what the "shiny" guy vs. the "Godly" guy will look like in a relationship:
Shiny Guy:
Pulls you away from God, your family, your friends and claims "exclusive" access to you. Cares more about what you can do for him. Is disrepectful to you and puts you in uncomfortable situations. Isn't perfect. Chances are, if you are not in-love with God, you are going to fall for this kind of guy every time.
Godly Guy:
Points you to Christ, encourages good relationtionships with your family and your friends, and makes no claims over you. Cares more about what he can do for you. Respects you and doesn't ask you to compromise your beliefs. Isn't perfect. Chances are, if this guy really exists, he may not be interested in you if God isn't a priority in your life.
God will "make good" on His promises to us. He knows exactly what we need and is ready to give it to us, if only we'd wait on Him, trust Him, and eagerly expect to see the His Glory.
Jesus had to remind Mary of this. It is like Jesus is saying, "Wait for it...wait for it..."
By not waiting on God you miss out on . . . every good thing God has planned for you.
| Looking for Glory for Real Posted: 24 Sep 2009 03:12 PM PDT "Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 'Take away the stone,' he said. 'But, Lord,' said Martha, the sister of the dead man, 'by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.' Then Jesus said, 'Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?' " (John 11:38-40) What could be more bizarre than this? Jesus, the teacher, the master, weeping and asking for the grave of His dead friend Lazarus to be opened? Was He hysterical, out of His mind with grief, forgetting that He'd come four days too late? Is that what Martha thought? He has to remind her of His words so she can catch up with their meaning: "If you believe, you will see the glory of God." How many of God's most powerful promises have we filed away because we have heard them a million times without ever really connecting what they mean in the moment we're experiencing? What is the moment you're experiencing today? Are you expecting God to do anything? Do you believe that His promises to you matter right now, that He loves to give good gifts today, that He's with you in this moment? Are you looking for the glory of God? Think: What promises have you seen God answer in your real, everyday life? Which ones are you counting on Him to keep? Pray: Thank God that if you believe, you will see His glory. Do: Make a quick list of five promises God has made to you in His Word. (Feel free to cheat by looking some up or phoning a friend if you have to.)  |
--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.org http://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home