Living what you believe....

There must not be even a hint of sexual immorality among you, or any kind of impurity, or greed because these are improper for God’s people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking . . . but rather thanksgiving. You can be sure of this: No immoral, impure or greedy person has any inheritance in the kingdom of God.
Ephesians 5:3-5
When I was in college (a private Christian college), I recall a scenario where one gal’s reputation was tarnished by one “innocent” choice. You had to be an upperclassman to live off campus. And, most guys, when they became upperclassmen, shuffled off to apartments where 3-4 guys shared a two bedroom apartment. If you lived on campus, you always had to be back on campus by curfew. When Christmas Break or Spring Break went into effect, the rules were a bit lax. So much so, that one gal tried to challenge the system. She had gone over to her guy friend’s apartment (he wasn’t even her boyfriend) and with a bunch of other people began to watch the original Star Wars movies trilogy. As it got closer to normal curfew, those who lived on campus began to depart. Allegedly, as the story goes, this gal fell asleep and her guy buddies were so engrossed in Darth Vader and his minions of the Empire defeating the rebel forces that they forgot to send her on her way to her designated sleeping place on campus. Innocent, right? Well, she awoke around 3 a.m. and tried to get back onto campus. As she was unable to rouse the security guard to unlock the gate so she could get back onto campus, this gal turned around and went back to her friend’s apartment and stayed the night. Somehow, administration learned of this incident. The gal and the guys who lived in the apartment were called in and reprimanded for their indiscreet behavior. As a result, the guys had to move back onto campus as they violated one of the school policies (no overnight guests of the opposite sex) and the gal was put on probation for breaking curfew.
You are probably thinking the school rules were a bit extreme or harsh. And, perhaps they were; however, they were in the student handbook, clearly spelled out, which all students had to read and sign. When we signed the form, we stated we agreed to obey the school rules while enrolled at that college. If we didn’t like the rules, we shouldn’t sign the form and shouldn’t attend that school.
One might argue that although this gal signed the statement of the school rules, her actions demonstrated she didn’t believe they applied to her. She believed she was an exception to the rules and acted accordingly. “But she fell asleep!” you argue. Maybe she had narcolepsy and couldn’t tell she was going to fall asleep! Maybe she had been without sleep for a week straight and out of sheer exhaustion, fell asleep! Do those conditions make the rules any less meaningful or applicable to her?
Lately, I’ve been hearing a lot of teaching on “we live what we believe.”
So, let’s try a few “belief statements” for you to ponder and consider:
I believe that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit; therefore, what I eat, drink, read, listen to or watch, what I wear and how I allow another to touch me … will be for the glory of the Lord. (I Cor. 6:19)
I believe that I am a child of God, set apart from this world to glorify Him with all I say and do; therefore, how I act in public and in private, will reflect this. (Romans 8; I Cor. 10:31)
I believe that I am not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever; therefore, I won’t blindly walk into a relationship with someone without first knowing their spiritual condition. I would go so far as to make the statement, I will not date someone who does not have an ongoing, vibrant relationship with the Lord. (2 Cor 6:14)
I believe there must not be any instance of sexual impurity in my life, including no obscenities, foolish talk or coarse joking; therefore, I will reserve my body for the Lord and should He will it, my future husband or wife – meaning, I won’t have sex of any kind before marriage. I will also be known as someone who doesn’t use foul language in any way (talking or in writing or texting or myspacing…), I won’t be known as someone who talks foolishly or uses sexual innuendo or joking. (Eph. 5:3-5)
What do your believe? What do your choices in life say about what you believe?
And, check yourself! Are you dancing on the edge of going down a path you really don’t want to go? Are you allowing yourself to compromise in areas that are not in line with how God would have you live your life?
Are you living a life “above reproach?” This means you are living a life that reflects a good name and reputation. You are not known as one who will compromise, but as one who will stay away from being associated with questionable situations or circumstances. As an example, often I have talked to the gals about going out on group dates, rather than single dates. There are numerous benefits to having this boundary. If you are known as someone who is a Christian, your reputation will always be under attack. Sticking with the group dates, keeps your reputation in tact. You are “above reproach.” Even if nothing happens, and everything is innocent, there is still that potential for tarnish to your reputation, and ultimately, the name of Christ.
It all comes down to what you believe.
I love you!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home