Thursday, May 19, 2005

Pleasing yourself leads to destruction...

Something I've been dwelling on for about a week now.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Since the fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, then the fear of man must be the embracing of ignorance or stupidity.

Choose to please God in all that you do, not man…boyfriend…best friend…yourself.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I guess I'm a geek. I waited in line last night for about 5 hours so a group of us could see the premier of this final installment of Lucas' Star Wars saga. I don't feel like a geek, but apparently, waiting in line for this movie (as well as the Lord of the Rings' movies, according to Ms. Sarah) qualifies one as a geek.

Yes, geek then, I seem to be.

"Geek" labeling aside, the wait was well worth it. Even now as I type (I'm on my lunch break at work), operating on 3 1/2 hours of sleep, the loss of sleep was worth it. However, I believe this may be my last mid-night premier participation.

I apologize if I wax verbose.
Lack of sleep makes my brain fluffy and yet, pensive.

If you like Star Wars, you will probably enjoy (appreciate may be a better word) this final (rumor has it) 2 hours and 20 minutes of celluloid paced to slake the sensory demands of an X-box generation and scripted to answer the why, when and how of Vader's transmutation. However, if you wanted to skip to the tidying up of loose ends…you could realistically sleep through the first 2 hours and awaken, refreshed, to view the revealing (mostly, not all) answers to the questions regarding the Dark Lord's history.

Love, loyalty, betrayal, seduction and a painful severing of a fraternal friendship are themes interwoven throughout the movie. Only the latter has any real substance, moving the viewer, albeit briefly, to shed a tear or two in sorrow for damaged lives, shattered dreams and broken promises. Despair triumphs scattering resistance to the far, far corners of the galaxy where promise, like carefully sown seeds, lies dormant waiting for the winds of change, Spring and a New Hope.

Towards the end of this piece of entertainment, a verse popped into my head:

Proverbs 16:25
There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.

This promising young Jedi turned dark lord provides too rich of an analogy.

Proverbs 3:1-8
My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments; for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body and refreshment to your bones.

Are you going your own way? The alternative to trusting God and following Him in every area of our lives leads to destruction. If the promise of following God leads to a long life and peace, then not following God must lead to a wasted, shortened life with constant unrest.
If we seek to do what we think is wise, we don't fear God and turn toward evil. Doing our own thing damages our bodies and lays waste to our bones. Literally, not following God is unhealthy!

Pursue God. Seek Him in every nook and cranny of your life. Turn away from evil. Quit playing at being a God-follower. Repent and turn from your rebellious life. Find peace and rest in the arms of the Savior. While you still have breath, it is not too late.

Fear God, not man.
Here is knowledge, and the beginning of wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home