Praise God for Potholes!!!
Living in Southern California, we don’t have the extreme weather conditions they celebrate and suffer through on the East Coast. One thing I am thankful we don’t have here: roads and highways shut down or closed due to inclement weather or potholes! Let me tell you, they have serious pothole problems in any part of the country where snow and ice eventually invade.
What is a pothole, you ask? Well…a pothole is anything from a divot to a major crater in the roadway. We have a few here but they are more like indentations in the road rather than classified as true potholes (notwithstanding the major sinkholes the Los Angeles basin contributes when El Nino or any of his siblings rumble into town).
Potholes can cause serious damage to your car’s alignment, drive train and, in severe holes, the chassi. Car-sized potholes can really put your car out of commission. If you accidentally drive into one (and, one would assume this was unknowingly on your part), your day will pretty much be spent trying to hoist your car out of the hole. All other plans for the day are forfeit as you concentrate on recovering your car.
Potholes are inevitable, but with caution and alertness, they can be avoided. Sometimes, no matter how you maneuver you end up hitting a pothole.
Spiritually, I hit a really huge pothole earlier this week! I was cautious. I was alert. Nevertheless, after the dust cleared, I found myself at the bottom of this pit of despair, discouragement and yes, fear.
In this pothole, the Body of Christ was precious to me! Not only did I have the comfort and concern of a husband who loves me and would do anything for me, but also the shoulder and care of a sister and brother in Christ who were willing to drop everything and carry my burden with me. All the while pointing me to Christ.
In that moment, I was able to tangibly feel and understand the love and care of Christ. I trust God. I trust His Word. I trust He is faithful, just and holy. I trust He is in control. Being able to experience the Body as God intended it to be, made it somehow understandable and real in a way I’ve only intellectually understood until now. Does that make any sense? It is kind of the same as when you pray and God answers your prayer! Or, when you understand God disciplines us because we are His children and He loves us, and then you look back on something and see God was disciplining you!
It becomes real. I’m not saying it was not real before…but it was not “known” before as it is experienced and understood now. Comfort, safety and refuge are found in God’s instructions, guidelines and “economy” for His children and Christ’s Bride, the church. When the Body interacts the way God intended it to interact, He is glorified.
God knows we need tangible arms to hug us, hearts to cry with us and mouths to speak words of encouragement to us. That is why we are called “the Body.” We are inter-dependent parts of a whole, who when focused on Christ, act in harmony and unity. We are able to care for and lift each other up which brings honor and glory to God. Just as the body needs all of its parts to optimally function, we need each other!
Think about that. Look at your brothers and sisters in Christ. You need them and they need you to optimally function as the Body of Christ. And, not just to glorify God in the potholes of life, but when there are clear skies and well-paved roads along this journey we call life.
I love the Body of Christ! Do you?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home