Friday, October 01, 2004

Can you Date the Church???

The following is taken directly from Josh Harris’ website

Are you dating the church?

Putting in their hour or two on the weekend, many Christians take the rest of the week off, neglecting the church and her needs. It's not a serious relationship. Some shop around, looking for a church that suits their lifestyle. It's dating, with no assurances, no obligations.

Best-selling author Joshua Harris calls Christians to stop playing the field and commit, just as Christ is committed to us, His bride. In his new book, Harris explores the ramifications of Ephesians 5:25-32, which proclaims the intensity and the breadth of Jesus Christ's love for His church.

God has designed us to build our lives around a local church; we cannot be indifferent or uninvolved. Rather, we must be in love with and committed to God's plan and purpose through the church. Are you dating the church, or are you committed.


Ephesians 5:25-32
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, because we are members of His body. FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND SHALL BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.

The new book is titled: Stop Dating the Church! By Joshua Harris

I think I will go hunt for this book today on my lunch hour. I’ll let you know what I find.

Interesting timing. God is incredibly good!

Wow!

So, just a random thought – I wonder if we could judge our commitment to our church body by our commitment to our marriage relationships (or vice versa)? And, if that is a valid comparison – do singles, teens…shadow now the kind of marriage partners they will make should they become married in the future? I’ll investigate this thought…don’t quote me or run off with this thought.

Interesting.

On an information side note – I received an email from “Sovereign Grace Ministries” and copied the following:

New Senior Pastor for Covenant Life Church
C.J. Mahaney to Lead Sovereign Grace Ministries Full-Time


For 27 years, C.J. Mahaney prayed for his replacement as senior pastor of Covenant Life Church. For the past six years, he has discipled and trained his replacement. Then, on the historic "Milestone Weekend," September 17 to 19, C.J. transferred the role of senior pastor to his successor, Joshua Harris.

"Today I am making the loudest statement I can make of my trust in you and my respect for you," C.J. announced during Joshua's installment Sunday morning. "I can make no louder statement. And I want to thank you for bringing me so much joy."

This happy yet sober event—based on pastoral charges found in 2 Timothy 4:1-5—was preceded by two days of events honoring and thanking C.J. for his service and friendship to the many that his ministry has affected, especially the now 3,000 members of Covenant Life Church.


Cool!

Have a great weekend.
Pursue God.
Fall in-love with Him.
Forget about yourself and focus on the Lord Jesus Christ.
Glorify God by your life.
Lord, help me to love Your body, the church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home