What a few whirlwind weeks since I last posted!
I hope you all have been in the Word daily for strength, Truth and intimacy with your God and King.
A few major Lions: situations that are more powerful and overwhelming than me and Bears: sins that are nasty, evil and ready to rip me in two have darkened my doorway in the midst of two of the busiest weeks in my year (so far).
But for God, I'd be crushed.
But for Jesus, I'd be devastated.
But for His grace and mercy, I'd be drowning in the dregs of sin's sea of despair.
As a child of God, I am free from sin. Romans 6 reminds me I am no longer a slave to sin; meaning, sin has no control over me. And yet, I still choose to sin all the time! Living in the Light of God's revealed Word and the powerful prodding of the Holy Spirit to convict me of my sin, I am coming more and more thankful for God's grace toward me.
Lately, I've become more sensitive to the whirlwind of sin around me. Either my own sin, the consequences of another's sin or the continual effect of living in a sinful world...have made me more thankful for God's redemptive mercy toward me and more eager for Jesus' return.
It is a basic truth...when we begin to see sin the way God sees it, we develop a deeper understanding of just how Holy God is, and how thankful - to the deepest depths of our soul - for His mercy toward us. And, we love Him more.
This part of Psalm 23 reminds us just how strong and mighty our Great Shepherd is!
Bessie TenBoom said it well, "There is no pit so deep, Jesus isn't deeper still."
There is no sin too great for our mighty Shepherd.
There is no darkness so bleak His love cannot penetrate.
There is no evil more powerful than Jesus.
What are the Lions and Bears in your life? The Good Shepherd can defeat them, vanquish them and rescue you from them - no matter how big, powerful or hopeless they seem.
Trust in Jesus alone for salvation.
May you know peace in the midst of your whirlwhind found only by faith in Jesus Christ.
Trust in Jesus alone to rescue you from whatever you are facing today.
| Psalm 23: Tough Enough Posted: 08 Nov 2010 12:00 AM PST "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4) I don't know many shepherds — especially ones from the time of King David, who wrote this psalm. I tend to think of shepherds as gentle souls who hang out on hillsides and babysit a bunch of fluffy, dumb animals. That's wrong. Shepherds are wicked tough. Listen to what David told Saul about his shepherding days: "When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear." (1 Samuel 17:34-35) Yikes! David was like some kind of ninja with that rod and staff. Don't mess with shepherds! Speaking as sheep, David writes that our great shepherd — God — is strong enough to take on whatever evil might come our way. He's tough enough that we can relax and munch on our grass and not worry. Trust your Shepherd to protect you. Think: Do you ever think of God as being ready and willing to use His might against evil to protect you? Why or why not?
Pray: Thank God for His protection in your life against evil; ask Him to help you not to live with anxiety. Do: Read 1 Samuel 17:34-37 to see why David said he was so good at defeating lions and bears in battle.  |
--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.orghttp://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home