
Howdy Blog/Devotional Readers!
Miss me? :o)
Work has been beyond crazy busy lately. And then, Frank and I had the wonderful opportunity to go hang out with about 2000 other Youth Leaders for the National Youth Workers' Convention in San Diego, CA. It was a mini vaca as well!
How are you doing with your pursuit of Lady Wisdom?
Way back in the pre-dawn existence of time, I attend Christian Heritage College (now, San Diego Christian College, in El Cajon, CA). Toward the end of my college stint, I became best friends with Debbie Pederson. At first, when we "knew" of each other, we didn't really think much of the other. Deb thought I was a haughty, tall (couldn't help that one - I was 5'9", she was 5'4"), aloof female who couldn't care less about anyone. As it turns out, I was shy (honestly!) and quietly observing life around me. I really didn't think or feel I was better than anyone else. And, because Deb was bustling with energy, charm and an infectious, toothy grin, I gravitated toward her. Somewhat like a cat lazily watching a butterfly flit just beyond reach from one splash of color to the next.
My third year in college, was the year Deb and I were RAs (Residence Assistants). So, we were thrown together and eventually became fast friends. She was alarmed and surprised to find I was quite witty and not conceited after all! :o) In essence, I made her laugh (which is what she enjoys the most!).
We used to joke around about the Garfield comic strip. We would liken her to Odie, the bursting with energy, eager pup and me to Garfield, the lazy, "we are not amused," cynical critic on life in general and Odie in particular. We'd sit at meal times and I'd prop my chin on my hands and watch Deb flit around in animated conversations with those at the table. She'd engage me from time to time...but I'd mostly watch, observe and offer occasional witty comments. Truth be known, I wasn't comfortable with plumbing the depths of my soul or intellect, and happier floating on the surface of superficial comments. I was afraid to show people who I really was, in fear they wouldn't like me.
Frank and I spent some time with Deb while we were at the NYWC this past weekend. I did remark on the funny observation that we have two cats and Deb has two dogs. I have grown, ah, let us just say, "fluffy," while Deb has retrained her energy into healthy living and working out. In too many ways to ignore, we have become Garfield and Odie.
Secret - I'm really a dog person. I never truly liked cats until I met Frank. Frank makes the cats he adopts into dogcats, if you will. So, I think I still don't really like cats...just Frank-influenced cats.
However, from a maintenance point of view, cats are the superior pet. They groom themselves, cover up their "toilet" with sand, and, are just as happy eating bugs as catfood. They are independent and seek you out on their own terms. You, generally, cannot call a cat like you would a dog. Cats are creatures of satisfying their own curiosity...and, if you happen to be the object of their curiosity, they will come to you. If you own a cat (and, remember, I own two)...try gazing deeply into their eyes and eventually have your thoughts turn to cold repitilian lizards living inside of them waiting to devour you when you're asleep (oh wait, that's the show "V"!). Creepy.
Seriously.
Dogs, on the other hand, are eager to please, always happy to see you and want to get as close as possible to you when they want to nap. For the most part, they are quite trainable, obedient and willing to wait all day for your eventual return.
Some folks might attribute wisdom to cats and foolishness to dogs. These, of course, are attributing human characteristics to animals.
I wonder.
I wonder how wise we'd become if we pursued Lady Wisdom like eager puppies, instead of "know-it-all" cats.
Read on to see the end result of pursing Lady Wisdom.
| Wisdom Says: Wisdom Favors Posted: 15 Sep 2010 01:00 AM PDT "For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD. But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death." (Proverbs 8:35-36) Lady Wisdom concludes her 36-verse plea for our lifelong attention with these words. She won't hide, but we must seek. And our search brings huge rewards. Those who find wisdom — those who live wisely by living life from God's perspective — they find favor from God. This favor comes in at least two flavors. On the one hand, living with Wisdom brings practical, natural rewards. People who don't jump off cliffs are less likely to fall to their deaths. People who don't tell lies are more likely to earn trust and closeness in relationships. The natural benefits of wise living are endless. But God's favor is supernatural, as well. To seek out His wisdom — and live by it — is an act of humility. It's saying, "I don't know nearly enough on my own; I need God's help; I need to understand God's way." He promises to lift up everyone who humbles him- or herself before Him in this way. Think: Do you think it's intolerant for Wisdom to say that hating her is the same as loving death? Is it true?
Pray: Ask God to help grow your appetite for His wisdom.
Do: Read Proverbs 11.  |
--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.orghttp://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home