
If you're like me, you probably pray for election time to go into warp speed and head into a black hole!! I actually detest all the political posturing, mud slinging, campaigning that goes on. It is interesting to me, however, that as much as I can tune out the "message," I still hear that blurb at the end: "My name is Meg Whitman and I approve of this message." Then I have to think about what Ms. Whitman is putting her "stamp of approval on?" And, if she approves of that message, it means she wants to be affiliated or associated with that messsage. It is a reflection of her thoughts, ideals and political platform. She owns that message.
Today's PW Devotion talks about what we put our "stamp of approval on." Essentially, whatever we recommend to people, we are saying, "My name is Mary Hickcox and I approve of this book, show, music, website, establishment, group, person, place or thing." Hmmm. So, what does what I approve show about God? After all...
If my purpose on this earth is to point others to Jesus, glorify God and worship Him, and it is, does it matter to God what I watch, what I recommend to others and how I spend my time?
Yep.
Is it wrong to watch TV? Nope.
Is it wrong to go to movies? Nope.
Is it wrong to listen to classic rock music that makes you want to crank it up, roll down your car windows, and share with all your auto buddies on the freeway? Nope.
Is it wrong to dance around the house to "Boogie Wonderland"? Nope.
Is it wrong to read secular books? Nope.
It may be unwise for you to watch certain programs or listen to certain songs or go to certain types of movies.
And, in fact, according to King David, we are supposed to "despise a vile man but honor those who fear the Lord." For Christians, this means we shouldn't recommend or align ourselves with evil practicing people.
Growing up, my parents were pretty restrictive with what types of TV shows, movies or concerts I could attend. I usually felt "out of the loop" or "not in the cool know" when friends or kids at school would laugh and recap what happened on SNL or Dallas or whatever popular TV show was on in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember my mom asking me, "Why would you want to hang out with people who spend all their time watching trash like that?" At the time, I thought my mom was crazy and totally uncool, like totally! However, the principle of being wise about how I spent my time still applied.
I believe Pastor Phil talked about this last Sunday. His point wasn't that spending your time on TV shows, etc., was necessarily bad...but, we should be wise with how we spend our time. He encouraged us to spend time in God's Word and hungering after Truths stashed away like little love notes for us to find as we dig in to learn more about Him, how He wants us to live and to spend time with Him.
Pastor Phil talked about going to Donalee's house with Mike Jones last week. Donalee is housebound and can't make it to church. She hadn't been able to participate in communion in over two years! She hungered to "remember Jesus" in the way He instructed us to, by taking communion. I was deeply touched by this. Communion on Sunday took on a whole new perspective for me. Just like being at church and being able to fellowship with the Body of Christ...it is a priviledge I have, at times, taken for granted. Which led me to thinking about, and praying for, the underground Christians in other countries...whose very presence at an underground worship service could mean imprisonment or even death. Wow.
On the "Do" portion of today's PW Devotion we are challenged to: Make a list of the top ten leaders, entertainment, and books you "approve of" with your friends? Put a check mark by the ones that demonstrate respect for God.
Don't beat yourself up if your list is short or doesn't even have one suggestion on it! Talk to God about your list. Ask Him to help you become sensitive to how you spend your time. And, start asking Godly people you trust for recommendations on leaders you can research, entertainment you can get or books you can read which you can add to your list that DO demonstrate respect for God.
| The Code: Good Hate? Posted: 13 Aug 2010 01:00 AM PDT ". . . who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the LORD . . ." (Psalm 15:4) Wait a minute! Didn't David just write that part of this God-woshipper's code was not to be hurtful to people, to carry compassion in our hearts and speak it with our mouths? Yes, that's what I heard, too. So how does he turn around and say we should "despise" the bad guys? The context here is important. David is not saying we should walk around with bitterness and resentment in our hearts toward anyone who does something wrong. He's talking about what you will do with your own personal influence. In David's time, people would give their loyalty and allegiance to a leader based on what he could do for them. But what if that leader is a "vile man" who worships false idols, who participates in human sacrifice, who takes advantage of people for his personal gain? A God-worshipper should not give his "stamp of approval" to that person, even if it will make life easier for him. A "with God" person points his friends and neighbors to other God-honoring people. Think: How are you using the power of your influence? What people, TV shows, and bands do you officially "approve"? Do you honor people of character or people who openly do wrong without caring about the consequences? Pray: Ask God to help you use any influence you have to promote people who honor Him.
Do: Make a list of the top ten leaders, entertainment, and books you "approve of" with your friends? Put a check mark by the ones that demonstrate respect for God.  |
--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.org http://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home