
The minute my car crossed the solid, double yellow lines...I KNEW I was breaking the law! But you know, I reasoned, the few cars in front of me AND the few cars behind me were DOING THE SAME THING. I guess you are supposed to treat those double, solid, yellow lines as if they were concrete barriers. "You wouldn't run over the concrete barrier, would you?" At least that is what the very instructive motocycle police office asked me. My reasons for crossing the lines were to get out of the traffic lane and into the left hand turn signal lane. Regardless, my reasons were wrong and I broke the law. And, I got a ticket. Halfheartedly I complained, "what about all the people before and after me who did the same thing!" The police officer's reply, "I observed you crossing the lines." As I had not received a traffice ticket for quite some time, I was able to go to traffic school to keep my auto insurance from going up. Let me advise you, however, going to traffic school does not absolve you from paying the traffic fine and you add the cost of traffic school. I believe I ended up paying over $200 for that traffic violation.
But you know, from that time on (some 15 years ago): I. NEVER. CROSS. THE. DOUBLE. YELLOW. LINES...EVER...NEVER...EVER.
I do recall how many people were at traffic school complaining about "getting caught." Most traffic school students plead ignorance to the traffic laws. In this case, as in most cases, ignorance is NOT bliss. The instructor informed all of us that all the traffic laws are in the DMV Driver's Handbook, of which we all had to read in order to pass our written as well as actual driving tests. If we have a driver's license, it is our responsibility to know the traffic laws.
I believe many Christians are like those students in traffic schcool. They plead ignorance to how God commands us to live, especially in the area of our words.
Do not lie.
Do not bear false witness.
Do not let unwholesome words come out of your mouth.
Do not slander/gossip.
Do not use swear words.
Do no talk foolishly.
Do not tell off colored jokes.
Do not take the Lord's name in vain.
Did you know all of these are in the Bible? Where? Check out these verses: Exodus 20:3-17; Leviticus 19:11; Matthew 7:20-23; Ephesians 4:25, 29, 31-32; 5:3-4; Colossians 3:8-9.
Psa 19:7-14
(7) The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. (8) The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. (9) The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether. (10) They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. (11) Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward. (12) Who can discern
his errors? Acquit me of hidden
faults. (13) Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous
sins; Let them not rule over me; Then I will be blameless, And I shall be acquitted of great transgression. (14)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer. Verse 14 is another of my favorite verses.
Read on to see what PW Devos has to say, continuing on this subject.
Thought - Do your words reflect you as a child of God, eager to please Him with all you say? Or, do your words reflect the world around you? Pay attention to what you say this week.
| Words Matter: Trapped Posted: 20 Apr 2010 01:47 PM PDT "An evil man is trapped by his sinful talk, but a righteous man escapes trouble." (Proverbs 12:13) None of us like to feel like we're missing out. That's one of the reasons sin continues to tempt us. Why should we take that thing off our list of options right now just because it's "wrong"? What if that thing -- a lie, a cruel word, a little immorality, striking back in anger -- what if that's exactly what would make us feel so much better? Why box ourselves in? But the temptation is a lie. Sin always turns out to be its own dead end. We think of sin as tearing down roadblocks when really we're setting them up, cutting ourselves off from escape, limiting our freedom. Today's proverb says we do it with our words. With a lie, with gossip, with a hurtful remark, we limit the people we can turn to for help. We eliminate options more positive, helpful words would have opened up. Then -- when things get serious -- we're trapped. Think: Have you ever felt trapped by your own sinful words? What's the best way to get out of a trap like that? Pray: Ask God to help you to find greater freedom by refusing to sin with your words. Do: Watch this week to see how people box themselves into unpleasant situations with sinful words.  |
--
Mary E.Hickcox
www.CalvaryBaptistSM.orghttp://mary-neotes.blogspot.com/
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home