Saturday, March 27, 2010

Welcoming vs. Condeming

Someone very near and dear to my heart/life is hurting beyond words, and, in so much pain that ending their life seemed the only option.  This person was unsuccesful in their recent suicide attempt (this time).  In researching some resident centers that, hopefully, this person will be able to go to, I came across this quote:
 
"We in the church have as much to learn from people in the recovery movement as we have to offer them. I was struck by one observation from an alcoholic friend of mine. "When I'm late to church, people turn around and stare at me with frowns of disapproval. I get the clear message that I'm not as responsible as they are. When I'm late to AA, the meeting comes to a halt and everyone jumps up to hug and welcome me. They realize that my lateness may be a sign that I almost didn't make it. When I show up, it proves that my desperate need for them won out over my desperate need for alcohol."
This quote brings to mind so many word pictures!
 
It reminds me of the account of Jonathan Edwards sermon, "Sinners in the hands of an angry God."  I have heard it said that those listening to this sermon were literally holding on to the pews & pillars in the church afraid they were, at any moment, going to slide in to hell.
 
It also reminds me of last summer when a group of us were at the Harvest Crusade.  Tyler & Jenni were coming to join us and were late.  That particular night, the crowd was over capacity for Angel Stadium.  So, they locked the gates and would allow not more to enter into the Stadium.  My heart raced and I was struck with the very real thought that there will be a time when it is too late to say, "Yes!" to Jesus.  I will never forget that night.
 
This quote today reminds me just how much we in the church need to show the love of Christ, His grace and mercy to all around us.  We can no longer assume we know why someone comes to church, nor why they do not.  We can no longer pass judgment on why someone is late.  The fact that people come should be enough for rejoicing.
 
I recall when Jenna or Megan used to come to Youth Group late.  Whenever the other showed up, they would jump up and greet each other with an all consuming hug.  It definitely was a distraction, especially if Youth Group had already started.  However, they were genuinely excited to see each other.  Eager in fact.
 
Are we genuinely excited to see each other whenever we meet?  Are we eager to seek each other out?
 
Much to ponder over.
 
There is a bronze sculpture on the grounds of the Crystal Cathedral called "The smiling Jesus."  It shows this man smiling and embracing a child.  It is a beautiful reminder, to me, of Jesus' readiness to take us in His arms, forgiven, and love on us.  If we have full forgiveness, grace and mercy showered on us...how much more, then, should we also shower forgiveness, grace and mercy upon each other?
 
Perhaps people are not drawn to us and the good news of the Gospel because we stand condeming them, rather than welcoming them.
 
Love on each other.  God is the One who changes hearts.
 
Ouch!  Let it begin with me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home